Unanswered: Implicit DB2 connections

Hi. Is it possible to do implicit DB2 connections to a database on another machine? Example: I logon to a server through Putty and want to connect to a DB on another UNIX server on the network without having to provide a password. Is this possible? How would I do this?

Thanks,
    - Dylan

Can anyone help me with this?

If you catalog the remote database on the local UNIX server (the one you log on to), then you can connect to database on the other machine. If the userid and password of your logon is the same on the local machine as is needed for the remote database, then you might be able to do what you want (but I am not sure about that). There are some front end tools that will store the userid and password for remote databases, but the IBM supplied tools will not do this (to the best of my knowledge).
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 12-13-04 at 13:00.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    If the userid and password of your logon is the same on the local machine as is needed for the remote database, then you might be able to do what you want (but I am not sure about that).
    I don't think it'll work. You can specify AUTHENTICATION CLIENT on the database server, in that case DB2 will trust your authentication on the client machine and you won't be required to enter your password when connecting to the database. However, it may compromise your database security. Have a look at
    Administraton Guide: Implementation for more details regarding DB2 authentication options.