Unanswered: Modify Report Field from Module

Ok, here's the short version: I want to change the value of an unbound text box on a Report from a function in a Module.

Here's the long version: I have a form that accepts input from the user including a range of dates and then passes this information to a function in a seperate module. The function creates a select query using the information passed from the form. Then the function opens a report with the query as its record source. What I'm trying to do is have a text box at the top of the report that has the date range they entered on the form.

Here is the code I'm using now:

DoCmd.OpenReport "rptProdWeek", acViewPreview

strWeekOf = datStart & " through " & datEnd
    Reports!rptProdWeek!txtWeekOf = strWeekOf

This doesn't cause an error but the text box txtWeekOf doesn't change. What am I doing wrong?

You'll have to open the report in design view first in order to assign a value to control in a report. A report opened in preview mode has already printed. Once in design view, assign the value through the ControlSource of the textbox, making sure to precede the value with an "=".

Make sure your textbox is unbound and try this instead:

Code:
    strWeekOf = datStart & " through " & datEnd
    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptProdWeek", acViewDesign
    Reports!rptProdWeek!txtWeekOf.ControlSource = "=" & strWeekOf
    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptProdWeek", acViewPreview
    You may also want to think about filling your textbox through the Report_Open event of the report.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that worked great! I just had to add DoCmd.Close acReport, "rptProdWeek", acSaveYes before reopening the report in preview so that the user wouldn't get a save changes dialog when they closed the report.

I guess I could use the Report_Open event. I would have to have a couple global variables, though.

Anyway, it's working now. Thanks again.

Provided Answers: 59
    Glad you got a fix, that provides a solution. I'm not being confrontational but:-

Quote Originally Posted by jrmywvr
    I guess I could use the Report_Open event. I would have to have a couple global variables, though.
    Not neccesarily true, you could put near identical code in the report open event and set the reports caption property
    eg

me.caption="This report covers the period " & forms!frmcallingform!startdate & " to "& forms!frmcallingform!enddate

on any other variationon the theme.

The main downside is that it means you have to call the report from that calling form -its marginally more limiting. You could trap the error and spot you were in development mode but each to thier own I say