Unanswered: Oracle 9i TNS-12154 frustration help!!!

Currently using Visual studios 6.0 under Oracle 8i. We are now moving to Oracle 9.2. Since current production still on 8i I copied the 8i programs to a new 9i directory structure and then moved the new Oracle9.i includes and libs. I currently use the OO4O wizard to connect to Oracle. Both directories are located on our LAN.

Upon re-compiling and testing the information under the 9i directory I receive a TNS-12154. After many.. many hours I was able to get the program to work by placing the new Oracle 9i LIBS and INCLUDES under the old 8i directory structure and having the programs point to them and recompiling the program. However this does not work on the 9i directory which is an exact copy of the 8i except for the new Oracle LIBS and INCLUDES.

Why will my program not work properly under the new 9i directory structure?
    I need to keep both programs seperate!

Suggestion/Help

Did you update your tnsnames.ora (or name server entry)?

TNS 12154 occurs when tnsnames.ora files are not found in default $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory.

In case you are not aware, also note that port number changes from 1521 to 1541 for default listener install from 8i to 9i.

I would not change the location of LIB, etc. If you need to switch environments use oraenv (in unix) or home switcher in windows to change the environment variables.

Problems is probably due to missing tnsnames.ora or wrong TNS_ADMIN (location of tnsnames.ora) being defined during re-compile.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    It is not clear why you are make so much work for yourself.
    It is NOT a 100% requirement that you use V9 client s/w to access a V9 DB.
    The 8i client s/w will work OK.
    Just add a new entry to the V8 tnsnames.ora that points to the 9i DB.
    It appears that you really don't undertsand SQL*Net and how the components inter-operate.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Yes I am aware...

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    It is not clear why you are make so much work for yourself.
    It is NOT a 100% requirement that you use V9 client s/w to access a V9 DB.
    The 8i client s/w will work OK.
    Just add a new entry to the V8 tnsnames.ora that points to the 9i DB.
    It appears that you really don't undertsand SQL*Net and how the components inter-operate.

Yes.. I read that 8i will work with 9i, but the document state that its much better for the application to work under the proper environement

8i will work with 9i database. I think I posted this before with excerpt from metalink.

Oracle 7.3.4 client will not work but 8i will work with 9i.