How hard is to do help desk?

How difficult is it to do help desk? I just scored an internship with a pretty prestigious company and I'm going to be doing help desk. I'm worried I might not be able to fix everyone's problems, so that looks kind of bad. I do have 10 years of experience with building computers, different versions of windows, office etc etc, A+ cert and all that other stuff...I'm just more curious about the nature of the problems that people call in with. Is it more basic stuff like "How do I get Excel to do standard deviation" and "my computer wont turn on"...or is it more highly technical stuff?

From the different organisations I've worked in I'd guess you'll find it pretty easy. Most help desk calls, it seems, can be resolved by putting the plug back in the printer (no exageration).

The organisation I now work for has some highly skilled help desk technicioans, who, unfortunately have a few gaps in their knowledge. As a result we have Office XP/97 installed, i.e. we still have Access 97. When I asked about the reason for this I was told that they had a lot of databases writtein in Access 97 and there are issues involved in installing Access XP on those PCs that use Access 97 databases. If you know how to resolve that issues I'd think you'll be OK on just about any help desk!

good luck in the new job, brave choice

I think you may find it pretty hard - not because you dont or wont know your stuff, precisely the opposite. Most of time you will be dealing with noddy [stoopid] questions form muppets [idiots]. Not their lack of knowledge buyt their lack of thinking. Depends who you employer is aswell, and what help desk functionthey want you to do.

Yes there will be some technical stuff, but be prepared for the really dumb questions. I used to work in a university with a computer help desk, and they got all manner of non computer helpdesk questions (like in which room is my course being held?, can I pay my fees here?, I'd like to buy some paper and pens. And lots of the classic why doesn't this computer work (beause it isn't plugged in, you haven't logged on, you don't have rights to that program, because it has this sign on it saying machine being repaired do not use)

Depending on your character, I think you will need to have nerves of steel and a very relaxed attitude to survive, and an ability to refrain from making smart aleck responses.

You will get lots of abuse because the user has done soemthing stupid (they deleted a file but its your fault for not backing up their USB pen drive, you must go and find which printer they sent their vital piece of work to becasue they selected the wrong device). Occasionaly you may get some faint praise when you do your job with the precision and accuracy you know you can and do, but don't bank on it. Taking all the flak when the systems people decide to change over network controllers or servers in the peak work period. Or covering for you colleagues 'cos their too lazy to set up user accounts correctly. It will be a fantastic job if you can just get rid of the users.

No idea of where you are working but if its education make sure your are not there at the start of term when new students arrive.

Hey if you do take the job, how about starting a new thread in an appropriate forum and we can all join the fun of help desk hell!.
    My personal favourite had to be the alleged wordperfect helpdesk story of some ringing to complain they couldn't use Wordperfect, it transpired in a power cut and the help desk response was 'pack up the computer, return it to the supplier and demand you money back, because your to !!!!!!! stupid to own a computer

My personal favourite had to be the alleged wordperfect helpdesk story of some ringing to complain they couldn't use Wordperfect, it transpired in a power cut and the help desk response was 'pack up the computer, return it to the supplier and demand you money back, because your to !!!!!!! stupid to own a computer.
    My personal favourite was the one where the technician told the user to close windows. She then went round and shut every window in the office!

Nah...my favorite (or is that favourite) one is where the used the cd drive as a cupholder...I still don't believe that one....

Oh, and as far as "knowing everything".....doubt it....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Having moved beyond the Help desk level some time ago here are a few pointers.
    (Please note the following pointers hold true in the U.S. Mos likely elsewhere also.)

1. Technical knowledge (no matter what they say) is secondary to following thier proceedures and Documenting the issue.

2. Technical knowledge is tertiary to good costumer service skills. Yes they maty be the same Company but the callers are still the customer.

2B. Everyone from middle mangement up will expect you to pucker up for thier buttocks. (And thier secretaries.)

3. Technical knowledge is often less important than call statistics. (Was told by a "prestigious company" If it the issue takes mopre than 6 minutes to resolve it is an issue with thier PC. Tell them to run scan disk and get them off the phone.)

I could go on with a million helll stories of help desk's but that is MY bad experience. I hope you have a great one. I am willing to bet the pointer hold true.
    Darasen

Almost forgot one ! Level 1 help desk? Learn to love Passoword resets !
    Darasen

Posted this to the Yak Corral a while back, but it's fitting here:

http://chroniclesofgeorge.nanc.com/

Good luck with your internship.

-Chris