Unanswered: Benchmarking Database Performance

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, didn't know where to put it.

I'm doing a university paper comparing Microsoft Access versus SQL Server 2000 and I want to run a benchmark on them to see which is faster, does anyone know of any applications that will let me do this?

You may think this is silly since SQL Server is quite obviously faster, thing is a can't just say that in my paper, I have to be more specific so was hoping I could run some benchmarks and show the scores on the paper.

I know I can run an ASP script that can time how long the query takes to run, however this can't test multiple concurrent users accessing the system (useless I get all my friends computers around my house, bring up the page and get them to click on refresh all at the same time ).

I basically want to run a simple SQL SELECT statement on an identical database in both database systems (Northwind), but for mutliple users. Anyone know of any application?

Or does anyone know any performance tests that has been done on comparing Access with SQL Server? All I can find is material comparing high-end database against high-end database (Oracle vs SQL Server vs IBM DB2 etc.). If I can't do my own I can always use other peoples. Cheers!

From the book "SQL Server Resource Kit", the CD that comes with the book contains a utility named "Database Hammer". The utility creates it's own database on SQL Server and performs a lot of transactions to test performance. It is most useful for comparing Server A to Server B, both running SQL Server.

Here's a link:

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...083/26083.html

Of course, this utility will not work against an Access database, but it should give you some ideas. Hope this helps...

After some hunting around I found Quest Software's Benchmark Factory that seems to do the job really well. SQL Server 2000 handles about 21 transactions per second with 5 concurrent users, Access can only manage about 11. Does this seem right? This was from running a fairly complex SQL SELECT statement, performing mutliple inner joins on many tables in the Northwind sample database.

Would performing actual transactions on the Northwind database (INSERTs, UPDATEs etc) show bigger performance differences between Access and SQL Server?

Also does anyone have any experience with using Benchmark Factory? How do test more than 5 concurrent users? It only seems to let me select upto five, but the help files seem to indicate that you can test with as many as 100s of users.

Thanks for any help!
    Sunday Ironfoot

SQL Server 2000 n00b

Quote Originally Posted by cppwiz
    From the book "SQL Server Resource Kit", the CD that comes with the book contains a utility named "Database Hammer". The utility creates it's own database on SQL Server and performs a lot of transactions to test performance. It is most useful for comparing Server A to Server B, both running SQL Server.

Here's a link:

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...083/26083.html

Of course, this utility will not work against an Access database, but it should give you some ideas. Hope this helps...
    Thanks for the help, although my paper is on comparing Access and SQL Server, I'm building a system next year that uses an SQL Server backend database that handles tens thousands of records, and that utility will certainly help me with some optimisations.
    Sunday Ironfoot

SQL Server 2000 n00b