Unanswered: which version/advantages over sql server?

Hi all

I am a bit of a newbie in the world of ORACLE

I am setting up a site which i would hope will have in the region of 10,000 customers.I am currently working for a company which has 300,000 customers and use SQL server. As I am not familiar with the ORACLE setup I was wondering could anyone tell me what advantages would ORACLE have over SQL server 2000. My pertner in this venture is very ANTI -MS as a result he is pushing ORACLE. However I am the senior developer therefore I will have the final say.

If i decided to go for oravle which version would i go for? What are the costs involved with this? We are on quite a tight budge to speak of at the moment

Any help advice would be very much well received

with MS SQL Server you are bound to MS$$ platforms ...

with Oracle you can go for Linux and the licensing can very much be compared for the RDBMS Server as per user

Reading, UK
    If you are starting out in Oracle go for 10g which is the latest version, preferably enterprise edition (standard is also fine for PROD environments but it lacks certain options which are nice to have rather than essentials).

Advantages over sql server
    1. Concurrency and locking are much better in Oracle. Readers dont block writers, writers dont block readers and writers only block other writers if they want to modify the same row. The number of times I've had to deal with locking deadlocks in the past 8 years with over a hundred plus databases is less than probably 50 occasions. So you dont get escalating locks in Oracle and all the associated problems. Also coding becomes much easier as a result.

2. Lots of options in terms of tuning and configuration. It might take you a while but you can solve a heck of a lot of problems because Oracle gives you very good diagnostics and the tools to rectify those problems. It might not be so user friendly and because of the number of options it will take some time to learn but atleast you have the option.

3. Runs on lots of OSes so your not tied to Windows and you can run it from a small single CPU server to big 128 CPU boxes. Also RAC (clustering) gives added robustness and performance without code changes.

4. Oracle is very robust (uptime on prod servers usually measured in hundreds of days). Also there are lots of things you can do without taking out the users such as rebuilding indexes or tables online.

5. PLSQL is more feature rich than TSQL (at least the last time I looked) and you will probably find that you dont have to use it so often as on sqlserver. SQL on Oracle is also more feature rich especially with the new analytic/rollup functions which means you can do quite complex reports just using sql rather than sql+code.

You can think of it that sql server was designed for the best case scenario i.e. few people not accessing the same data, Oracle has been designed for the worst case scenario i.e. lots of people all after the same bits of data. As a result Oracle isnt always as fast as sqlserver (especially under low load/contention scenarios) or as user friendly (get something like Quest TOAD as it will help reduce the learning curve) but I would suggest IMHO the advantages outweight the disadvantages in most cases.

Last edited by AlanP; 12-13-04 at 08:15.

thanks alan

Bery detailed answer alan i appreciate it,thanks for taking the time.I will take your points on board