Thread: suggestions

Question Unanswered: suggestions

I have a table that contains a column with the last Name, First name in one column. How do I separate the two out so that I might create a table that has two columns one with just the last names and the others with just the first names?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carley
    CAT :-D

If the name is always in the format of Last Name plus a comma and a space and then First Name, this will work for you. Create a query in Design View and don't add any tables and switch to SQL view and paste the following in, replacing the table and field names with your own.

SELECT Left([Table with Full Name]![Last with First],InStr([Table with Full Name]![Last with First],",")-1) AS [Last Name], Right([Table with Full Name]![Last with First],Len([Table with Full Name]![Last with First])-InStr([Table with Full Name]![Last with First],",")-1) AS [First Name] INTO [New Table w 2 Columns]
    FROM [Table with Full Name];

TD

It is in the format of Last name space First name. So example would be
    "Smith Carol"

And how do you suppose to handle the name of el Rio Jack??? Or for that matter any other multi-part last name ... Ah but wait, there is an answer (actually multiple answers): Try running a routine using the Split function or you could use the InStr function ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Ok mighty Pooh bah how do I run a routine using split? I am game to learn. Also love to learn new things.

This will do the trick without the comma.

SELECT Left([Table with Full Name]![Last with First],InStr([Table with Full Name]![Last with First]," ")-1) AS [Last Name], Right([Table with Full Name]![Last with First],Len([Table with Full Name]![Last with First])-InStr([Table with Full Name]![Last with First]," ")) AS [First Name] INTO [New Table w 2 Columns]
    FROM [Table with Full Name];

TD