Unanswered: retreiving dts package from backup?

Last week I discovered a server runing a sql database for a vendor application. Last year sometime one of our former employees created a dts to populate some data in peoplesoft from this database. But, over this last weekend, the vendor came in and uninstalled and reinstalled sql server and only restored their specific database. All I have is backups of msdb and master and I'm not sure how to restore our dts package. Any clues would be appreciated.

You can try (as a test) to restore the db's to another server and then save the dts packages to a com storage file.

this is assuming that the dts packages were already stored in the msdb database as is the default.
    if they were stored in a com file or a vb script they all you have to do is find them on the hard drive and dtsrun those.
    Last edited by Ruprect; 12-13-04 at 16:23.

Thanks!!! I created it on my local laptop,restored MSDB to the new database and got it.

no prob
    glad i could help
    now you should open the packages and save them as Structured Storage Files (SSF's)

Advantages
    1. They can be accessed independently of any database server or computer
    2. You can save them to a share that is backed up nightly
    3. you can place multiple packages into an SSF to create a module style componentry of like procedures
    4. SQL Server maintains version control of any package saved within a SSF this way you can access any previous version of any package by date and time.

Books Online {Saving a DTS Package to a Structured Storage File}
    Last edited by Ruprect; 12-13-04 at 17:35.

...and then you can create a table with PackageID (UI) and PackageContents (IMAGE) and store your packages there. Then, when you need to run them, you can retrieve the packages from there. At the same time they will be backed up WITH your user database...oh well, never mind, I know nobody will go to that extreme
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."