Unanswered: SQL Server won't start

I created an empty database on my PC and then restored from a backup file successfully.

Now I cannot run SQLServer or any related program.

Rebooting does not make any difference. When I attempt to start any SQLServer program I get a dialogue appearing with the Fatal Error message :

"Execution cannot continue as the language dependent resource file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\Resources\3081\SQLSVC.RLL could not be loaded"

I have searched for the Resources\3081 directory and do not have it. I suspect that there is some incompatibility with the database I loaded although it seems strange that it successfully loaded to completion.

As I cannot even start SQLServer I can't drop the database or do anything.

HELP!

Ideally I would like to be able to get the database running however my second choice would be to at least get SQLServer running so I can at least run my other databases.

Have you tried to start with -f -m? Just restoring a database does not result in what you described. Something else happened, and you need to identify it.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

I have informed the user to try starting from CMD prompt using sqlserver.exe -f -m. What information should I be looking for when they do this ?
    Last edited by Snoopstah; 12-14-04 at 18:57.

They'll see what normally appears in SQL errorlog. Just look for errors, versions, AV's, etc.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Whatever happened

Hey Snoop what was the end result. I was wondering for future experience just in case that ever happens to me?? Enlighten us please

The joys of working with a user in another country ! An email from the user :

"My assumption that SQLServer was not starting was actually incorrect. I assumed this because I was getting the error message after rebooting when SQLServer automatically restarts however I have subsequently found that the service was running and I can stop and start it without a problem.

Starting Query Analyser, Enterprise Manager and Profiler all result in the error. I can however run ODBC to connect to the database with no problem.

I was able to run ISQL from within Command and have successfully dropped the database that I loaded. Unfortunately this has not changed anything as I am still getting the error.

Other than loading the database I have not done anything deliberately to the database nor have I change the regional settings for my PC (which is English (Australian) ). I have not performed any other upgrades on my PC.

I am running SQLServer not MSDE.

My only other idea is to see if there is a way to get the RESOURCE\3081 directory to install for one of your servers and to then send me whatever I need to install the same on my PC. "

This is indeed rather confusing. Any ideas are more than welcome !!!

In case you did NOT know 3081\SQLSVC.RLL is a foreign language resource DLL as 1033\SQLSVC.RLL is English (United States). ( 3081 = English (Australia))

Did you have him look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn\Resources for the missing files? Mine has the server side copy there for 1033.

You can try to download SQL RTM it should have the files in it.
    remember to do ( 3081 = English (Australia)) as language, NOTE I see no where to choice English Australia, but may have more luck

Added above note

I would try to install a SQL Service pack that is equal to what is supposed to be on the server. Then if that fails try SP1; and then SP2 then SP3a

SP3A if the server is to have SP3A on it. NOTE PLEASE DO A BACKUP BEFORE THIS; DO AT OWN RISK. That is what I would do.

Tim S
    Last edited by TimS; 12-15-04 at 19:59.

Thanks Tim.

I had only recently worked out that the 3081 is English (Australia) vs 1033 for English (US). I can not find a single other server in our office that is not 1033. IN fact, he has a 1033 folder and no 3081 folder (that it is requesting). We even tried in desperation to create a folder 3081 and put the 1033 files in it.. no luck.

I asked him to apply SP3 but as he is working from hom on dial up, downloading the 55MB file is rather difficult. Can you tell me where I can get the SQL RTM file from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopstah
    Thanks Tim.

I had only recently worked out that the 3081 is English (Australia) vs 1033 for English (US). I can not find a single other server in our office that is not 1033. IN fact, he has a 1033 folder and no 3081 folder (that it is requesting). We even tried in desperation to create a folder 3081 and put the 1033 files in it.. no luck.

I asked him to apply SP3 but as he is working from hom on dial up, downloading the 55MB file is rather difficult. Can you tell me where I can get the SQL RTM file from ?
    I tried but could ONLY find US English version of the files.

Might try the following; just update the reg entry to US English, is he in Australia ? In other words should he be using Australia Language setting?

Note: he most likly must use the Australia version of the service pack, and I just tried it SP3 will not replace missing rlls. Do you or He have an Australia SQL Installation CD-ROM I think installing it on a another machine and copying the files might be the best way to go.
    If you should NOT be using Australia setting I would just do the following reg entries and then do SP3a

Tim S

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ClientSetup\CurrentVersion]
    "Language"=dword:00000409

AND

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\ MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion]
    "Language"=dword:00000409
    Last edited by TimS; 12-17-04 at 00:06.

Why can't I delete these posts?
    Last edited by derrickleggett; 12-17-04 at 01:46.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Unfortunately his registry entry already has the Language values set to 409

SEE http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;248241

Try

Regsvr32 Sqldmo.dll

And how it fixes the DMO stuff

Tim S

Unfortunately the commands did not assist the problem. Same errors being reported.