Exclamation Unanswered: Generalization .. and tables in MS Access

Can someone suggest to me how to do the tables for the generalization i've done? Refer to the attachment given. =) Is it only one table (eg. Users table) or must have 3 (eg. Users table, Valid_Users table and Invalid_Users table)? Or must do with queries? I only understand generalization by drawing on a piece of paper. Please help. =) Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails generalization.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by adiboy
    Can someone suggest to me how to do the tables for the generalization i've done? Refer to the attachment given. =) Is it only one table (eg. Users table) or must have 3 (eg. Users table, Valid_Users table and Invalid_Users table)? Or must do with queries? I only understand generalization by drawing on a piece of paper. Please help. =) Thanks!
    Hi adiboy and "Welcome to the Forum"

For generalization purposes one way that comes right to mind is this. Rather than create separate Tables for Users hinging on Valid and InValid...I would say create the UsersTable and then validate whether the users are Valid or Invalid with a CheckBox or OptionButtons. You then have all of your Users and can designate there on the one form whether they are Valid or Invalid. I would also called that field something like "STATUS"
    Then when you need to, after creating your Queries you can have it spit out two such categories for either other Forms or Reports. You do that in the Query by placing True(-1) or False(0) in the CriteriaSection of the Status field. Anyway that's my take on it at this wee hour of the morning. I will check back later and see if you got either this to work or another solution from someone else.

hope you enjoy the Forum
    have a nice day,
    BUD

Then when you need to, after creating your Queries you can have it spit out two such categories for either other Forms or Reports. You do that in the Query by placing True(-1) or False(0) in the CriteriaSection of the Status field.
    I named one field Status in the Users table and put Yes/No as Data Type.

However, I'm not able to put True(-1) at the Criteria and False(0) at the Or of the Query from Status field.

How to solve this problem?

anyone?

Provided Answers: 59
    Hi adiboy
    Just a comment, it isn;t good practise to refer to the numbers, your db should be able to handle TRUE or FALSE ie "where columnx=TRUE" in preference to "=0

As regards your gneralisation I'd of thought you only need the one table of authorised users, if they are not in that table then by definition they are unauthorised users. Of course this would fail if a user may have partial authorisation for the app. But then again who would be trying to develop their own security code in this dya and age.