Unanswered: Receiving alerts when problems occur

Problem:
    I need to be able to send email from one computer in my organization to another computer which is also within the organization. I need people's advice on how to do this.

(Actually, it doesn't have to be done using email, any other GUI alert system would work for my purpose).

Reason:
    I am the database administrator at my company and I need to set up some sort of alert system so that I can receive email (I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client), telling me when there's a problem with our Oracle DB. So I would write a script that'll do some checks every night, and when there's a problem, it'll send an email from the db server to my machine. (Since I have my email client open all the time, I would be able to see new messages in the morning and deal with the problems)

Now, I don't want the email to go outside of the organization since the information in the email might be private and email isn't secure. Also, there's another organization that host ours email, so I don't want to use their SMTP server or recieve email using the email address they gave me since a copy of the email would be saved on their computers, which I don't want.

Anyhow, how can I send email (or some other alert) securely from one computer to the next?

How do you receive alerts in your organization?
    System: Oracle 10g on Fedora Core 1

configure sendmail on your linux box to act as a SMTP server. You then point Thunderbird to the SMTP server and it will alert you when the email is generated from your cron job. I believe that Thunderbird can monitor more then one SMTP server at the same time.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

If you want to email from within oracle you can use the utl_smtp package or you could probably use a java stored proc.

Alan

Hi,

I would suggest your main problem is how to decide and then hook when a problem occurs? What exactly is a problem, and how can your "send_notification" code ensure it knows about it in order to then tell you?

Once you've dealt with that, you don't necessarily need email to be the notification method.

You could simply write all of the details into an error_log table, and have a client app periodically run a count(*) on it etc etc. If security of data outside of your site is a problem, the most secure way is to not send it off-site.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

I found a solution:

First, I ran imapd locally. I did it by editing /etc/inetd.conf , and uncommenting the line with imapd, then I reloaded the inetd.

Second, in mozilla mail, I created created a new imap account. My email addy was my-computer-name@my-computer-name.
    System: Oracle 10g on Fedora Core 1