Thread: Oci.dll

Unanswered: Oci.dll

I have Delphi 7 applications accessing an Oracle 9i database and they work in my first PC. When I copied them to our network drive and run an application from a second PC, the message is 'Cannot find OCI.DLL: in OraHome8.' Said file is in the directory C:\Oracle\Ora81\bin of both PCs. Will it matter if the Oracle Home Name of the two PCs are different? Thank you.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Will it matter if the Oracle Home Name of the two PCs are different?
    It doesn't matter to me what ORACLE_HOME is on your PCs.
    I suspect that if you can get both PC to do what you want, it won't matter to you either.
    Of course it is not clear to me exactly what you would like to have Oracle do.
    FWIW - ORACLE_HOME is where the program files reside.
    Typically ORACLE_HOME is NOT where the actual database files reside.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

OCI.DLL not found

Thanks for your reply but the Oracle Home name does matter. In my Delphi program which uses ODAC instead of BDE, I changed the Home Name of the ORA session from OraHome8 to OraHome81 (the home name of the 2nd PC, 1st PC has 2 homes names - OraHome81 and OraHome8) and the program now runs in both PCs.

FWIW, your Delphi app can determine the correct (and current) home via the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORACLE\All_Homes.

Incidentally, I'd be keen to hear how you get on with ODAC, I've never used it but do a lot with DOA.

Cheers
    Bill
    PM me if of interest.
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Odac

We're able to use ODAC instead of BDE. However, it can only work with Oracle tables and but we also use Paradox tables which we have to get rid off to be free of BDE. That's my next big concern.
    Another thing I noticed is the TwwDBComboLookupDlg doesn't show the ellipsis in our application but it does on a simple ODAC project.