Thread: Status Bar Text

Question Unanswered: Status Bar Text

Hi guys,

I have a database which records evaluations, the input form consists only of the question number and the input field. The question isn't displayed on this form but I have included the question within the status bar text on each field.

I've had feedback from a number of people though, saying "it would be good if the questions were displayed within the form". Now I don't know why they choose not to see the status bar in the bottom of the screen, and its really not time efficient to go into my form and add the questions as a label above each field, but I would like to provide users with an eaiser to see question label.

I was wondering if there was any way to take what is being displayed in the status bar and display this in a seperate field. I.e. a field that would display the status bar text of the currently selected field.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if they know how to do so?

Many thanks in advance.

Christy

Christy,

Why not just put the same info into the ControlTip Text? That way they will see the info when they hover over the field... or
    you can create a separate label, like a pseudo-status bar, and have the caption populated with the current control's status bar text using the OnGotFocus event. The problem with this method is the user needs to make the control the focus by tab-ing into it, but it works.

Good luck...

(PS - how's the weather in London? am heading there for the holidays even though the xchange rate is lousy)

Chris

I assume you have questions in a table

You could always have a unbound field on the header of your form which
    you could update when a new question is asked.

ie.

usequest = dlookup(....)

Hey thanks for the advice although I have also done this. For some strange reason though the control tip doesn't always work and tends to flash on an off so quickly you can't read it.

I had thought about the onfocus setting but again its the process of having to create a sub for each field. I have 6 individual seperate forms so the total number of times I'd have to do this is roughly 40. Its not much if I have the time but I was wondering if there was an easier way.

I was hoping to create basically another status bar within the form but I'm guessing that its not possible.

Its 15:33 in London, already dark with a max temp today of 11c and tomorrow of 8c. Both forecasts are heavy rain!

Provided Answers: 59
    what you could do is place a generic call in each forms on focus control to display that forms control tip text in the status bar. What ever way you do it it will involve some work, but probably no where near as much as you first think. You will also need to place some code in the forms on focus and mouse over events to hide no longer relevant status text.