Unanswered: Create Autonumbered PDFs

Every report we print off is classed as an official document.

Is there any way of having each report having a unique number (logged in a database as well).

Is there any easy way to generate a PDF automatically with a unique number.

I find it easy to generate PDFs using the distiller directory method, only problem is that the name of the report stays the same and also it doesnt log this in any database.

Provided Answers: 59
    try changing the report caption in the reports on load event to the serial number you require. I have successfully added a site indetifier and tmestamp to the end of reprot names and these come through on the PDF.

Do you have the code for this mate?

I aint too good in coding, I tend to rip off other code and change it to match my forms etc.

Much appreciated.

Will this generate a unique report name? For example I wouldnt mind calling mine based on it's unique Case_number and then one set of numbers after that. For example:

DCX0234 1234

The first part DCX0234 matching exactly the unique autonumber field from which the report is generated from
    The second part can be an automated number 1234, the next report being 1235, etc.

Provided Answers: 59
    Presumably you will have a log table recording what the report is, who created it and when. So when you open the report, create a new record in your log table and use that records autonumber field as the numeric part of your reports caption.

You will need to write a fragment of VBA to open a recordset, insert a record populate with relevant data, update it.
    Depends on you table design

I could write it but I'm loathe to supply non generic functions as a freebie - I'm happy to help if you have a problem or get stuck, but have a try. YOu will learn more by trying tan merely grabbing someone elses code. You may surprise yourself and succeed all on your ownsome.

Believe me, im truly baffled. I've never programmed at all and don't no the arse end of VB.

I've done some minor HTML programming in the past, but like this, I only found and used the code when I needed it for a certain part in a website.

I'm not even a DB programmer, just a graphic designer!!! But still I thouroughly enjoy DB programming and am learning a huge amount each day. I've in the past created Purchase order systems and also logging systems for my employer in the place I work in. This current project is the biggest to date, and to be honest, bar a few glitches here and there, I've cracked it.

Any pointers in the right direction in order to create a custom named PDF would be much appreciated.

Can anyone help in this??