Unanswered: Insert huge text file into SQL Server

I am writing a .NET service, and I need to insert files in a SQL DB for temporary storage.

I have never inserted a file into a SQL database before. I am thinking about using the image field type. Has anyone done this before? How did you do it?

No Don't Do it!!

Temporary? Why do it when it's easier to save a link to the location and save the file to a directory.

Just because something can be done does not say it should be!
    Sorry to be terse
    some say it's a curse
    I know it's worse
    I'm just diverse

Well, I'm a consultant and the guy paying my fee wants it like that. Mainly, I imagine, so his DBA's can manage tables instead of managing file directories.

So has anyone done this before?

Then as one consultant to another tell the guy it's not worth the hassle.

However I'll point you to an article it concerns images but gives you the jist of what needs to be done.
    Sorry to be terse
    some say it's a curse
    I know it's worse
    I'm just diverse

Sh*t forgot the link

http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=986

Sorry about that
    Sorry to be terse
    some say it's a curse
    I know it's worse
    I'm just diverse

Provided Answers: 54
    Unless there is compelling (non-technical) reason to do this, as a consultant you need to convince the client that this is a bad idea. From a technical perspective, it is a disaster in search of a new victim and your client seem to be waving and yelling "pick me, pick me!"

If there is some compelling, non-technical reason to do this, then you can store files as data in MS-SQL, and the IMAGE datatype is the most appropriate way to do it.

-PatP

I appreciate the warnings about this and thanks for the link.

Evanhand -- Remember as a Consultant you have a responsibility to Yourself to not drop your reputation into the shitter, and of course your client.

You the consultant should not be dictated to you are the "expert". And should be following Good and valid logic.

I am assuming you are new to consulting and apologise if this is not the case.

-- My 2 cents thats all
    Sorry to be terse
    some say it's a curse
    I know it's worse
    I'm just diverse

Again, I appreciate your input and advice. FYI I am not new to consulting.

The reason we are going to use the DB to store the files is for security. These are delimited files from 16 other databases going into the database I created for a central base of client - participant information. The files contain all sorts of personal information including SSN's, addresses and medical and dependant history just for starters.

Legal reasons / corporate policy requires this information to be stored as securely as possible. I realize file servers can be locked down but around here even network admins do not have passwords to client information databases.

Thanks again!

Rather than store the Text I'd import it into a DB create a table for it

After all that is More secure than a Text file which as has been explained is fraught with "danger".
    Sorry to be terse
    some say it's a curse
    I know it's worse
    I'm just diverse