Question Unanswered: MS Access Interface with MS SQL Server

I am getting "writing conflict" or "Update or Cancel Update Without AddNew or Edit" errors even though there is nobody else updating the same record. I use Access Form as interface, the DBMS is MS SQL Server 2000 Standart Edition. I did not write any code for the form and its AllowEdits property is set to Yes.

Can anybody tell me what is the problem and how I can fix it?

Thanks... :

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you working in an Access database file (.mdb) or an Access Data Project (.adp)?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Migrating Access database file (.mdb) to SQL

Please I want to know the process. It is a an MDB file to be migrated to SQL Server

Thanks

Florence

I had a problem like this once and I'm sure it was to do with changing the structure of the SQL Server tables without refreshing the ODBC links in Access.

Try deleting and then re-creating the ODBC table links within access, it's worth a go....

Migrating Access database file (.mdb) to SQL

What I mean is that I have developed a package running in access with tables, queries and various reports and it is perfectly running and saved as CCR.MDB. My problem is that I want to migrate or deploy to SQL Server and I don't know the procedure.

I'll appreciate your kind assistance

florence

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm sorry Florence, but you are not being clear in your posts so it is difficult to guess what you are after. In your first post you mention two different errors that you are getting, and in you later posts you say all you want to do is migrate the database.

You say you have a package CCR.MDB which is running correctly. Is CCR.MDB a pure Access database, or are the tables stored in SQL Server? Do you want to move the data to SQL Server and keep the Access forms and reports? Have you tried this and gotten the errors you first mentioned? If so, how did you move the data tables to SQL Server?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I am so sorry. I am just learning to interract on this site, I suspect there is a mix up.

My question again please.

I have an application running in Access with various forms, queries and reports. I have an intention of migrating my database to SQL Server but I don't know the procedure for migrating the data. Though I still want to maintain the forms, queries and reports in access.

Thanks for your response.

I think it is better explained now

I have an application running in Access with various forms, queries and reports. I have an intention of migrating my tables in the database to SQL Server (Backend), though I still want to maintain the forms, queries and reports in access (Front End). But I don't know the procedure for migrating the data and how they relate.

Thanks for your response.

here ya go

ok so you have everything running smooth in access. thats good to hear, but now we need it on msde or sql server. first, make a back up of your mdb!!! you will regret loosing it if you mess up. well you know what im assuming you have access?? so just go into access go to help and type upsizing my database. You will find its easy, but you will need to fix some aspects to your access file before it can operate as a front end solution to your database.

florence

you will not be able to move any of the objects to sql server except for tables and queries
    the tables and queries should be brought in from Data Transformation Services within SQL Server. however the queries will be converted into tables as well unless you manually recreate them as views, stored procedures, or functions.

I suggest this link for information on how to convert access queries into views.
    In my opinion, if you are going to continue to use access, you should import your tables(just the tables) into sql server, create an access data project (.adp) and link it to the tables then import your other objects into the adp and then convert your queries from your mdb into views using the info in the previous link.

Upsizing

Hi Florence I used an Upsizing wizard for some of my databases and for the others I just used the DTS Wizard and recreated my own GUI Interface. Hope that helps a little. Then again I'm still new to sql also, the Gurus know whats best.