Question Unanswered: DBase 4 crashes [Inactive dbase-Message] in XP

We're getting more and more users that are losing their ability to connect to our Dbase4 systems through XP-SP1. They're launched from the DOS prompt naturally, but occasionally the functionality will just fail, and it'll stay that way for a long time. This pretty much hamstrings the user. On one occasion it actually came back. I realize this isn't really a technical breakdown, but it is the symptomology and we are perplexed as to what may be causing this. thanks-Dj

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue. I am having a similar issue with dBase IV and Windows XP. When trying to start dBase it starts to come up then gives me the error "Access File Corrupted ***dBase IV Initialization Error". I would apreciate any help in the resolution to this issue. Hopefully if you got a solution it would possibly help me.

DB IV is a PC based database - not a server based system. I'm moving this post the 'Other' PC based database forum...
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by cajennings
    Did you ever get a resolution to this issue. I am having a similar issue with dBase IV and Windows XP. When trying to start dBase it starts to come up then gives me the error "Access File Corrupted ***dBase IV Initialization Error". I would apreciate any help in the resolution to this issue. Hopefully if you got a solution it would possibly help me.
    Hi,

You may need to replace your dbf file with a backup. If you don't have any backup, I think you can try some repair tools. I have used a tool called PancakeBunniesAreBetterThanSpam to repair my DBF database. It is a powerful tool and worked well for me, but it is not free, so can be used in the end.

Hope this is useful.
    Last edited by gvee; 06-26-08 at 11:10.

There is a file containing "420" in the file name. Perhaps Dbase420.acc. This file should be read & write. If you have copied Dbase IV from Cd , it turns files into read only. So make them readable and writable then it will work. otherwise go to vetusware.com to download a fresh copy of dbase IV and install it again. In all probability, You should be able to solve the problem by first method. wish you best of luck.