Talking Unanswered: What is a server instance?

Hi everybody,

In DB2 V8 Command Reference about "db2icrt - Create Instance Command", it states:

-u Fenced ID
    Specifies the name of the user ID under which fenced user-defined functions and fenced stored procedures will run. The -u option is requred if you are creating a server instance.

And Example 1
    On an AIX machine, to create an instance called "db2inst1" on the directory 1 /u/db2inst1/sqllib/bin, issue the following command from that directory:

On a client machine:

usr/opt/db2_08_01/instance/db2icrt db2inst1

On a server machine:

usr/opt/db2_08_01/instance/db2icrt -u db2fenc1 db2inst1

where db2fenc1 is the user ID under which fenced user-defined functions and fenced stored procedures will run.

I have two questions:

First: What does "On a client machine" mean? On a client machine, what tools can you use to run the command "usr/opt/db2_08_01/instance/db2icrt db2inst1"? Control Center? No! Client Configure Assistant? No! TELNET? Yes! But if you use telnet or something else to run the command, does it means you run the command "On a server machine"?

Second: why do you use option -u to specify a Fenced ID? When you call fenced user-defined functions and fenced stored procedures, does DB2 use the ID you use to connect to DB to run the functions and stored procedures? What's the chance for DB2 use this "fenced ID" to run these functions and stored procedures?
    Otherwise, when you create an instance without -u option to specify a fenced ID, what ID is DB2 used to run the functions and stored procedures?

Thanks,

Provided Answers: 1
    An instance is a logical database manager environment where you catalog databases and set configuration parameters.
    Physically it's just a directory with subdirectories and files in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hiolgc

I have two questions:

First: What does "On a client machine" mean? On a client machine, what tools can you use to run the command "usr/opt/db2_08_01/instance/db2icrt db2inst1"? Control Center? No! Client Configure Assistant? No! TELNET? Yes! But if you use telnet or something else to run the command, does it means you run the command "On a server machine"?
    Since db2icrt is an OS command you don't use any "tools" to run it. On Unix you type its name at the command prompt. On Windows you can do the same thing or use "Start"->"Run..." menu.

Second: why do you use option -u to specify a Fenced ID? When you call fenced user-defined functions and fenced stored procedures, does DB2 use the ID you use to connect to DB to run the functions and stored procedures? What's the chance for DB2 use this "fenced ID" to run these functions and stored procedures?
    Otherwise, when you create an instance without -u option to specify a fenced ID, what ID is DB2 used to run the functions and stored procedures?
    On Unix systems a separate process, db2dari (or what's its name these days) is used to execute fenced routines. The fenced user id is the authority that process runs with; it has more to do with the operating system security rather than with DB2 authorization. In other words, within DB2 your fenced routine will have access to everything that's allowed to your login id; however, it it tries to reach outside DB2 into the operating system it will only be able to accomplish as much (or as little) as the fenced user is authorized to.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, but if so, why is "On a client machine" and "On a server machine"? You do not answer "What does "On a client machine" mean?" Please read the questions carefully, then answer both question again.

Thanks,

Please read the questions carefully, then answer both question again.
    What is this, some kind of a game? According to a glossary, a client is " a software program used to contact and obtain data from a software program on another computer, often from a great distance." Therefore, a "client machine" is a piece of hardware where the client software runs.

In the context of creating a DB2 instance it means the node where you intend to run DB2 Connect (this is mentioned in the manual you have read).

Do I still have to answer the second question again?

Do you see the Example 1? What's the different between "On a client machine" and "On a server Machine"?

Do you see the Example 1? What's the difference between "On a client machine" and "On a server Machine"? If you know what a client means, how can you run the command below

/usr/opt/db2_08_01/instance/db2icrt db2inst1 ?

Where does the command run?
    Last edited by hiolgc; 12-21-04 at 17:51.

It must be a bad day for me - I'm not sure I can answer all of your two questions differently than I already have.

Please have a look at the Administration Guide: Implementation, specifically Chapter 1 - you may find the answers there...

Let me give it a shot ... (likely, my last post in 2004 )
    In this context, a client machine is one where there is no database engine running, but just has a set of APIs that help to access a database server(ie, there is a database engine).
    On the client machine you do not specify -u because you do not need to have a fenced user.. In other words, as the client does not have UDFs or SPs running on it, you do not need a fenced id ..

Hope this clarifies ...

Cheers
    sathyaram