Unanswered: Counting Specific Rows In a Report!

Hello.

I have a table which contain names and dates identifying events, plus, a tickbox which identifies if the event is valid or not:

| name_one | date_one | invalid_one | ... ...

I use reports for a long time now, and it's printing out great.
    Now, here is what I want to do-

I display all dates, whether they are valid or not. I would like to add, in the end footer of the report, a count which will write how many VALID dates I have. So if we have 5 rows, and two are checked under invalid, I would like it to display: "Valid Dates: 3".

I have no idea of how I can run a query, and display it's result. knowing that, will solve this issue for me, as I know how to write this query.

The thing is, I don't know how to run a query, and then write the results on the report, how do I call query outputs from a report?

Thank you all in adavnce, it's very important and urgent for me, can't thank you enough!

No one around so let me see if I can help you.

If you're not too worried about performance, you could use DCount.

It would look like this:

=DCount("[Name]", "yourquerynamehere", "[Invalid] = 0")

This will count names from a query (or table) where Invalid is false. If you need to check for valid being true then the last argument would be
    "[Valid] = -1"

To display the results in an existing report, you can create a subreport. Use the query as the record source of that subreport.

I've made a few assumptions here, but hopefully this helps you.

-Chris

Thank you very much!

I will try both your solution and subreport theory!

Another small thing, If I want to display a certain value returned from a query, how can I do it?

I don't care about performances at all, I just need things to be done.

Again, Thank you!

Provided Answers: 59
    I'd suggest that you approach it slightly differently

define a global variable in the report
    set it to zero in the group header
    test the date in the detail format event
    set you counters accordingly
    ie if isdate([datevar]) then intNoDates=intNoDates+1

in the group footer format event transfer the value to an unbound control

it may seem a long winded way of doing it, but you do have ultimate flexibility as to how you run your counters, It aslo gets rid of having to use the domain functions.

I can't thank you enough guys. I got everything working now and i'm super happy, thank you !!

I have another slight issue, I hope i'm not getting on your nerves here

I'm using a simple query to get rows between two dates, the dates in my database are formatted as : dd/mm/yyyy.

The query goes, theoretically: select all, from table, where bla bla bla, BETWEEN #01/11/2004# and #30/11/2004#.

The problem is, I got both dates setup just fine, but when the query is created, the first date is getting swapped, instead of 01/11, I get 11/01.. it's like it's confusing between the dd and mm. I format the dates, I msgbox the variables and I get the correct dates, I tried and did everything, but when the query is created, it's always the wrong date format.

Do I have to convert all my dates into mm/dd/yyyy, or there is a simple solution for this somewhere?

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

Hi SDawn and "Welcome to the Forum"

If you have a field that is a CheckBox and you want to Count when that box is Checked (True), then in your ReportFooter do something like this.

You have a CheckBox named Valid which is placed beside a Date field.
    In your ReportFooter place an Unbound TextBox and place this inside of it or it's ControlSource line:
    Code:
      =Abs(Sum([Valid])) 
    That will give you a Total of all the CheckBoxes that are Checked as True being ValidDates.

Hope this gets you what you want and have a Happy Holiday.
    BUD

thanks bud, I got it all working

My big problem now is the date one, read about it in my last post, can you help me with that?

Provided Answers: 59
    if you copy of Access (Office) and operating system is correctly localised then you should be able to quote dates without using the "#", however it seesm odd to me to use a hardcoded date

you could try 01 nov 2004 in place of 01/11/2004
    or possibly
    cdate("01 nov 2004") in place of 01/11/2004

I tried your idea of removing the #'s, and it did seem to work, although now it displays 1/11/2004, and not 01/11/2004, and the format is dd/mm/yyyy, so that little zero in the front is my problem right now

Ideas?