DOS Sluggishness w/Windows XP

I have Windows XP Home Edition, and with or without service pack #2, DOS performs in slow motion after I open a DOS window using the command 'cmd'.
    I experienced this with my Pentium III, and now on my Pentium IV PC. I have the same equipment on my new system except for a new motherboard and new CPU, and I reinstalled Windows XP over the old one (same directory).

Are there are any diehard DOS users out there that have experienced and solved the problem of slow DOS scrolling with Windows XP, and an annoying delay before you see each character typed at the DOS prompt? Please share your solution.

Thanks.
    Jerry

Jerry,

I have the same situation on my home pc. Never took the time investigated it, so I'm curious to see if someone has a solution. It started to occur after installing Symantec-Norton AV. No idea if it was related or not.

-Chris

I used the product System Mechanic to defrag my harddisk and to remove spyware. I don't know if one or both operations did it, but now DOS works fast like it used to under Windows XP.

Jerry