Question Unanswered: What goes into stdout and what into stderr?

Hi,

I want to know what goes into stdout and what goes into stderr in the case of db2 commands. I had noticed everything going into stdout only. Some errors which I expected would go to stderr have also landed in stdout.

Can somebody please help me out with this. Or direct me to a place where I can get this info.

What is the name of the program you are executing? Do you think we are mind readers?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

db2 command though a unix command, seems to have one output ; which you capture by -o out option are appending '>out ' after the command. If you think of db2 as a script, it does what ' su - db2inst1 "-c smscrpt 1>out 2>>1"
    does.
    mota

I beleive that the original poster is using DB2 for OS/390.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi,

I am sorry if the question wasn't clear. I am not looking for any specific command. I want to know in general (for any db2 command) what is supposed to go into its stdout and what is supposed to go into its stderr. I have a situation where I need to work on the stdout and stderr of any db2 command and process it in someway. For this I need to know what kind of messages go into its output and what kind of messages go into its stderr. Messages which I expected to go to the command's stderr also landed in its stdout. So I was wondering if there's documentation somewhere which talks about what kind of failures leave info in stdout and what kind of failures leave info in stderr.