Unhappy Unanswered: Please help a newcomer to access

I have created a form where the result of a sum of two fields is shown in the window of a third field window (does that make sense?) However when I look in the table in the column for the total there is nothing in the cells. I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by gibsonsimswilso; 12-26-04 at 03:48.

Hi gibsonimswilso and "Welcome to the Forum"

I am not totally sure of what all the Fields are you have in your Tables -vs- Forms, but just by what I have seen, you have a Form where you have two TextBoxes with an amount in them, and a Third TextBox that calculates the Totals of both the other two TextBoxes. Correct? IF correct, THEN, the reason you don't see that in your Table is because that Value is only Calculated and NotStored in the Table. Which, in fact is a good rule to follow. There are reasons for storing calculated values in a Table, but that you need to decide upon careful thought as that can lead to problems too. Does this help you out any?

hope you have a Happy Holiday!!!!
    BUD

Hi Bud

Thanks for the quick reply. You have guessed right from my poor description,well done.
    I would like to view the total as it's a invoice amount. Please could you advise me on what to do.
    I have probably gone about building this database all the wrong way but hey how else am I to learn ????
    Have a good hol's too.
    All the best
    Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonsimswilso
    Thanks for the quick reply. You have guessed right from my poor description,well done.
    I would like to view the total as it's a invoice amount. Please could you advise me on what to do.
    I have probably gone about building this database all the wrong way but hey how else am I to learn ????
    Have a good hol's too.
    All the best
    Gibson
    Hi Gibson,
    Don't worry about that Calculated Data not being stored in the Table. It will always be available to you when you need it. Just run your Query again with the Table and spit it out on the Report. (Oh, and it's a good idea to base your Forms/Reports on Queries...not a must do but a good thing to do) Try reading up a bit on Storing Calculated Fields in a Table. That can work at times, but at times can be catastrophic. You store that in a Table ONLY if that data is NOT going to change.
    REASON: Let's say you create an Invoice for a customer and later on the Cost for that product changes. If you change the cost for that item, it impacts all the prior invoices that were set at the old cost. That's why you should construct your system to use Costs and Dates. Then you can do the NewCost and effective date of change or either input various costs and like maybe a CheckBox or something to Flag which cost you prefer for a particular customer. There are various ways to design Tables for systems that will do Invoicing, which depends on the individuals. I hope this has helped you out some more.

talk to ya soon,
    have a nice one,
    BUD