Thread: Oracle Bug?!

Unanswered: Oracle Bug?!

Hi all,
    Yesterday I tried to connect to a 9iR2 server using sqlplus of Oracle 10g from another machine and It was easy by some settings in tnsnames.ora but when I tried to use exp utility of 10g for export data from 9i server it could not connect and said TNS could not resolve connection... ORA-12154!
    Note that I used exactly the same connection string for sqlplus and exp.
    What is your opinion?
    Last edited by Ach; 12-26-04 at 05:24.

Provided Answers: 4
    I hope this won't be misleading statement, but: when dealing with export / import utility on different DB versions, my rule (which seems to work OK) is: export data using EXP utility of this database (9i in your example); import data using IMP utility of the target database (10g).

You can not, for example, export 9i DB using EXP utility of 8i DB; I *think* it'll tell you that "table or view doesn't exist" or something like that. But importing 8i into 9i DB using 9i IMP will work.

I hope it'll help ...

Thanks Littlefoot,
    I will consider your tip but main question is not solved for me (maybe I am so noisy ).I know there is a new version of exp utility in 10g named by "expdp" so the existance of "exp" seems to be just for backward compatibility but this type of error (ORA-12154) is so strange because it is in the entry level of utility.
    -thanks again and merry christmas

Provided Answers: 4
    Another idea: is it, perhaps, about path system variable? If you have Oracle 9i and 10g installed, check which one is in front of the other. Also, you'll have two tnsnames.ora files (in \network\admin folder). Are those two the same?

Merry Christmas to you too

Quote Originally Posted by Ach
    Thanks Littlefoot,
    I will consider your tip but main question is not solved for me (maybe I am so noisy ).I know there is a new version of exp utility in 10g named by "expdp" so the existance of "exp" seems to be just for backward compatibility but this type of error (ORA-12154) is so strange because it is in the entry level of utility.
    -thanks again and merry christmas
    expdp is not export, it is the data pump and is a totally different utility. Export is still available and maintained. See the link below for info on the data pump utility.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...t.htm#SUTIL200
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

If you have Oracle 9i and 10g installed, check which one is in front of the other. Also, you'll have two tnsnames.ora files (in \network\admin folder). Are those two the same?
    Littlefoot,
    I did not understand your note or you are misunderstood? I have 9i and 10g on two SEPERATE machines,so what is the matter of which one is in front?
    Also there should be just one tnsnames.ora in \network\admin on each machine.Am I clear?

If you have Oracle 9i and 10g installed, check which one is in front of the other. Also, you'll have two tnsnames.ora files (in \network\admin folder). Are those two the same?
    Littlefoot,
    I did not understand your note or you are misunderstood? I have 9i and 10g on two SEPERATE machines,so what is the matter of which one is in front?
    Also there should be just one tnsnames.ora in \network\admin on each machine.Am I clear?
    Last edited by Ach; 12-27-04 at 18:16.