Arrow Unanswered: total memory needed for 2000 pro for oracle db plus forms

I have installed oracle 9i release 2 on window 2000 professional service pack 4 on pentium 3 and ram 391 (128*3)

I want to install
    Oracle9i Developer Suite Release 2 (9.0.2.0.1) for Windows

where i need to use forms at least can i install just

http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof...s/winsoft.html
    without the supporting tools ie ( 9i application server)
    bigfoots

Provided Answers: 4
    You already have 9i DB. Install Developer Suite 9i and you'll be able to develop forms and run them from Forms Builder (first run "Start OC4J Instance" from the Forms Developer folder).

Application server is not necessary for development.

However, I'd suggest you to upgrade your computer with more RAM; I had 256 MB and it worked like a lazy cow. Adding another 512 MB improved performance significantly.

does developer suite require a separate home or same home as database ?

thanks for your help

salim
    bigfoots

Provided Answers: 4
    I *think* it doesn't matter, but - unfortunatelly - can't tell for sure. I, for example, installed Oracle 8.1.7 database (into c:\ora817), and later installed Developer Suite 9i (into c:\ora9ids). It works correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    I *think* it doesn't matter, but - unfortunatelly - can't tell for sure. I, for example, installed Oracle 8.1.7 database (into c:\ora817), and later installed Developer Suite 9i (into c:\ora9ids). It works correctly.
    I am not sure about the Oracle 9i developer and 8.1.7 client, however I know for a fact that the 8.1.7 client and Oracle 6i developer require two different homes. The main reason is that the installer used for 8.1.7 was not compatable with the installer used for 6i. The 8.1.7 the universal installer and the developer didn't. I suspect that both developer 9i and 8.1.7 uses the universal installer and should be compatable.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 12-27-04 at 17:01.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

actually its the other way around its because of Java Version of oracle installer

So if you just install oracle form 6i first and then oracle database it will work in the same home and i have done it

salim
    bigfoots