Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Unanswered: HELP ME, MS Access stock take!

I need to make a stock database. The stock that is received each morning must be recorded, then the sold stock must be taken off. How can i do this by relating dates and products????? also i need stock on hand to be displayed for each product and be able to print off a daily report on stock check. But the big prob is that i need to use the same data from the end of each day, the next morning for the stock on hold. is there a way?! i want the data to just appear there from the end of the previous days stock tally, Please guys, help me out

No offense but...

I would be remiss if I did not mention something here. This has the homework smell to it.
    That said to start you off go here http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm
    for a data model if you need one.

If/when you have specific questions let us know and we will do our best to be helpfull with out doing the work for you.
    Darasen

Look mate, ur meant to be here to help not bloody police this forum, all help is appreciated. I needed help, im a new member, a little hospitality would be nice
    Last edited by bobby911; 12-28-04 at 17:12.

Look mate, ur meant to be hear to help
    Nobody has to help you if they don't want to; I have received so much help in these forums from people like Darasen. I found that if you thanked people they could not do enough for you.

Lastly, if you are going to flame someone at least spell it correctly, here not hear.
    Regards,

John A

Provided Answers: 1
    There's a fine line between "help" and "free consulting".

I like to call that line "effort".... and this does smack of homework.

So, most are quite helpful here if you take a solid crack at it and get stuck. We like to see people make an effort, there's no harm in asking for help when your stuck. Asking for someone to do it for you is another matter, I'm not sure you really did that.

Oooooooo k...

In general, you need to re-think the way you would "remove" stock. Instead of "removing", you may be much better off recording usage (or sales, demand etc depending on the target industry). Current values can then be derived by bouncing your received inventory off your depleted inventory.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    There's a fine line between "help" and "free consulting".

I like to call that line "effort".... and this does smack of homework.

So, most are quite helpful here if you take a solid crack at it and get stuck. We like to see people make an effort, there's no harm in asking for help when your stuck. Asking for someone to do it for you is another matter, I'm not sure you really did that.

Oooooooo k...

In general, you need to re-think the way you would "remove" stock. Instead of "removing", you may be much better off recording usage (or sales, demand etc depending on the target industry). Current values can then be derived by bouncing your received inventory off your depleted inventory.
    Nothing like asking for a LITTLE bit of code eh Ted?

I must be in the "not in most" category ... Since when have I ever been helpful???

I enjoy giving hints but draw the line at serving it up on a silver platter ...

... And evryone knows my thoughts on HOMEWORK ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I'll put it on the platter if something's already there. I have no problems tossing some code at someone who borked their own attempt, so long as there was an honest attempt.

ProTip: A general requirement list does not constitute an "honest attempt".

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    I'll put it on the platter if something's already there. I have no problems tossing some code at someone who borked their own attempt, so long as there was an honest attempt.

ProTip: A general requirement list does not constitute an "honest attempt".
    Still, I'd rather point out (or hint - if obvious) the errors in the original code ... Except for certain people whom I'll toss some working code to if they want it ... ( You, Izy, a few others ... )

Otherwise, it's learn from your mistake(s) ... And you're right: a laundry list is not an attempt at code ...

Although ... I do love the puzzled looks I get when posting my code ... You can tell the real programmers from the fakes then ...

That's the key right there... people who actually deserve to have code handed to them will almost always see exactly how it works right away. Usually it's a matter of a fresh approach or simply not knowing a given library or object very well.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say "they made an honest attempt". They tried something that made sense to them, it borked, and now they're stuck.

EVERYONE has had that happen at least once. Unless, of course, they happen to be the kind of person that has gotten by solely on the "free consulting" tip...

Cool

ahem....room for my 1/2 cents worth.....
    And not to mention when you have SO MANY repeat posts for more and different help. It seems you are wanting all the work done for you...not just mere assistance. You can read and see it is slowly being built little by little. HOWEVER, if homework is needed to be done, let's talk $$$$$$. Now we're gettin somewhere....LOL

Hey guys, maybe you should create one more section to this forum: Bids for Work or something to that effect. That way if someone wants it done for them, go to that section, let others bid on doing the job and take it from there.

Hey, did everyone have a great holiday or what??? At least it seems we are all still here...and maybe make it to the new year...keep them fingers crossed, and get a designated (hiccup) driver........

have a nice one
    BUD

Quote Originally Posted by Bud
    And not to mention when you have SO MANY repeat posts for more and different help. It seems you are wanting all the work done for you...not just mere assistance. You can read and see it is slowly being built little by little. HOWEVER, if homework is needed to be done, let's talk $$$$$$. Now we're gettin somewhere....LOL

Hey guys, maybe you should create one more section to this forum: Bids for Work or something to that effect. That way if someone wants it done for them, go to that section, let others bid on doing the job and take it from there.

Hey, did everyone have a great holiday or what??? At least it seems we are all still here...and maybe make it to the new year...keep them fingers crossed, and get a designated (hiccup) driver........

have a nice one
    BUD
    Bud,

Don't get me started on a rant about the clueless ****heads who can't do a little searching for their "original" problem ... I'm sick of the combobox, listbox, textbox, "How do I bind my control to a table?" questions ... GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Let alone some of the misadvice out there relating to Value Lists in comboboxes and listboxes ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud

Well well, what have we here?

Well Guys first of all - A Happy and Peaceful New Year to all.

Secondly my congratulations to the original author of this posting. Talk about "Light blue torch paper and stand well back!"

As a tutor I feel that comments made about homework and "really stuck work" is relevant. On a number of occasions Ive noted a pupil bring in a great DB nice code and very effective - then when I look closer at this pupil genius's work I start to recognise "other" peopel work. Sad, maybe lazy, mabybe lacking in the ICT education required - ASKING at the educational enviroment does work, tutor need to know where the lack of knowledge is and many times exams are blown because of "copying".

Thirdly, there is an element of sence in what was suggested earlier. A posting marked "for homework" would, even from me; will prompt guidence and support and god knows there are times when we all need it. But more importantly if a pupil can ask for support from these areas and they have tried their best to get out of the fix they are in I'm nope I KNOW! that these forums give unconditional support - SO learners ask and thou shall recieve, fail to try first and suffer the roth of the forums.

Regards and happy new year to ALL

gareth

Quote Originally Posted by garethfx

Secondly my congratulations to the original author of this posting. Talk about "Light blue torch paper and stand well back!"

As a tutor I feel that comments made about homework and "really stuck work" is relevant. On a number of occasions Ive noted a pupil bring in a great DB nice code and very effective - then when I look closer at this pupil genius's work I start to recognise "other" peopel work. Sad, maybe lazy, mabybe lacking in the ICT education required - ASKING at the educational enviroment does work, tutor need to know where the lack of knowledge is and many times exams are blown because of "copying".

Thirdly, there is an element of sence in what was suggested earlier. A posting marked "for homework" would, even from me; will prompt guidence and support and god knows there are times when we all need it. But more importantly if a pupil can ask for support from these areas and they have tried their best to get out of the fix they are in I'm nope I KNOW! that these forums give unconditional support - SO learners ask and thou shall recieve, fail to try first and suffer the roth of the forums.

gareth
    WAY BACK WHEN I was going to school, I didn't have the resources available as now ... I had to get books, more books, and more books to find the answers ... That's why I have no sympathy for students nowadays ...

Now, on the other hand, I've been in the position of some posters who are just starting outwith a new language/tool and have no clue as to how to get it to work ... I've in the past posted an all points distress call for some help on getting me started only after pulling my hair out for a week before breaking down ... (switching from Borland C++ to Visual C++ to be exact) And then all I asked for was a working "Hello World" project to see how the dang thing was constructed so that I could begin my app development ... That is the difference between a seasoned programmer and a beginner starting out tho ...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by garethfx

gareth
    Happy and Peaceful New Year to you too Gareth,

What is going on with some (few) of the posters is, if you follow along with them, you find out they are starting from the very Beginning of there eventual database to the very End. They are not just asking for pointers, they are getting it developed right here before your very eyes. Not saying that is bad, and if you can get someone to create your database for you that's fine. Mostly as I have talked with a few posters on here is this, they are turning on the computer, grabbing a mouse, loading up Access and have NO concept of what a database is or is supposed to do, etc. But hey, in knowing that, I have occassionally taken on a project from beginning to near end, ON MY TIME, to help someone who I knew was totally lost and tried hard to get them to go back to square one FIRST. So many want to try to develop with no understanding at all. Even so, nobody should really get upset if someone chooses not to help them, OR even if someone asks for help.
    I am here because I like this Forum and have learned a lot of bits and pieces here to help me develop programs better. There are some really great and intelligent people on here and it would be nice if we all have a great time. So, if someone asks for help and you (whoever) does not wish to help that person, it's easy to just simply NOT help them and move on. If a person seeks help and someone wants to, then that is their option to do so...and as said, at times I have gone to limits to help someone who really had no concept of databases at all. And NO, I am not an expert or pro, but have learned some things I gladly try to pass along to others. After all, knowledge passed on has a tendency to grow over leaps and bounds.
    Hey Teddy....cool. Never thought to even look for that on here, but glad it is. Wow, am I physic or what??? hehehe.

Everyone have a great day,,,,cuz I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have a nice one,
    BUD