Windows XP Home Reinstall Problems w/SP 2

I recently installed a new ASUS P4P800 SE motherboard and new Pentium 4 processor and 512 Mb of new memory, into a new tower case, and used other old components including 120 Gbyte harddisk. I found that I needed to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition because the PC continuiously cycled through bootup when I first turned it on. Windows XP is installed over the previous Windows directory, but all is not working as it should. I was able to connect to the internet at first. My PC is cabled to a router in another room, and there is a DSL modem. As soon as I installed Service Pack 2, I had no internet connectivity. The “ping www.yahoo.com” typed from the DOS prompt did not succeed either. Reinstalled Windows one more time to see if the condition would be corrected, but got the same results after installing SP 2: loss of connectivity. I did a system restore and that restored internet connectivity.

I did not find an appropriate article about this in MS Knowledge Base.

Next problem, the ASUS CD instructions say “Please using (sic) Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) or later versions, you DO NOT need to install this driver, because they already contain software for USB 2.0.” (this is their grammar, not mine) My problem here is that the 8 USB devices look normal in the Control Panel Hardware Device Manager, and are hooked up to the motherboard, but there is no indication in My Computer that I have a Thumb Drive plugged into any of them. The motherboard manual says “You must install the driver before you can use the USB 2.0 cabability”. The lite on the Memorex thumb drive comes on, but only if the drive was plugged in when turn on the PC.

If anyone has experienced this problem and solved it, where USB drivers could only be installed under Windows XP Service Pack 2, but internet connectivity is lost after installing SP 2, please help by sharing your knowledge with me and the rest of the world.

Thanks.
    Jerry

Windows XP Problem resolved--Unnecessary Hardware

Given enough time everything gets resolved. My catch-22 problem with loosing internet connectivity after updating Windows XP to service pack 2, while new motherboard USB 2.0 driver requirements stated that I must have SP 2, was resolved by removing my old eithernet card. I was effectively running 2 cards, my old one I installed after setting up a new motherboard, and the eithernet "controller" built into the motherboard.
    I removed the old eithernet card, installed SP 2, used DEVICE MANAGER to update USB drivers, and the USB 2.0 ports work now.

Success!
    Jerry