Unanswered: Migrating to UDB 8.1 from UDB 7.2?

Hi,

We have a production database currently running on 7.2 UDB. We are planning to install the new DB2 version 8.1 on a new machine and restore the production DB's back-up on to version 8.1. Will I run into any unforseen problem in restoring the database like this? If yes are there any sanity checks that I need to do before performing the restore. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

- Raj

You need to ensure that the database enviromental variables are set to at least default size. We ran into several situations where the upgrade didn't run because of that. The variables we had problems with were: sortheap, logfilsz, buffpage, and stmtheap, and locklist. We created a batch file to increase them and another to reduce after in the upgrade.

The process doesn't seem to issue enough commits to get completed. That is will we had to increase the logfilesiz and locklist. I believe most of our databases had 20 primary and 12 secondardy logs, but we did reduce the logfilsiz to get our logs to cut faster to tape backup. Plus, many of our databases aren't large databases for DB2.

When we contacted IBM they finaly informed us that they assume everyone was at least at the default levels. The tech told me the correct it for the 8.2 release, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Thanks for sharing the info Ron. I will keep the check list in mind. By the way did you perform redirected restore for this while migrating?

There are two very good topics of migrating the database/instance
    at www.databasejournal.com and ibm / db2 site

regards & thanks

Mujeeb

We did redirected restore on our sandbox servers for testing purposes. We did inplace upgrades on our Development, Test, and Production boxes. I only had to do two redirected restores for those three environments.

The only other problem I had was on production it failed to migrate the Instance. I had to drop and rebuild the instance. Then I had to recatalog the databases on the server.

When we upgraded from DB2 ver 8.1 to DB2 ver 8.2 via fixpak 7 we broke our CoolGen 6.2 Server Services.

more tips on migration

Hi,

I have recentlyl migrated single instance and multiple instance in a partitioned environment on sun solaris box. I think the easiest and quick approach is db2 instance migration and database migration.

For your query - since you are going for a new machine , may be the below steps will be helpful

Install the v7.2
    Restore the backup of v7.2.
    Install v81/8.2
    migrate the instance and database migration

regards
    MS
    MS

Worked fine on Linux

I followed the same steps above in a Linux AS 3.0 box and it work OK. The only problem I had was to recreate the procedures, because, for some reason, the migration didn´t copy the files to their new location. But once they were recreated everything worked fine.