Unanswered: Recover backup made with filesystem copy
What I have:
I have a DB2 UDB WE 7.1 WIN NT Server with a database that has a userspace1 with two containers (F:\db2\userspace1 & G:\db2\userspace1).
Every evening the Instance is stopes and the files on F and G are backuped by copying on a streamer.
What I want:
I want to recover from a backup on the streamer to another server.
Is this possible? Is there something special to know about?
Unlike Oracle, where if you copy datafiles,controlfiles,logfiles and init files from one system to another, you can bring up the database, DB2 does not allow this. We cloned a system to another; when we did db2start it checks some ID which has some hardware specific parameter(like cpu id) and compares it to something in db or somewhere and it wouldnot allow us to use the database. We ended up with BACKUP, RESTORE.
1. Create the instance on the target machine
2. Create as much dummy DBs on the target machine, so you have the identic SQLxxxx number for the desired DB you want to copy (if it is SQL0005 yoou have to create 4 dummy DBs [SQL0001 - SQL0004])
3. Create a DB named like the one you want to copy on the source machine
4. Stop the instance on the target machine and rename the SQL0005 folder (e.g. SQL0005.old)
5. Stop the instance on the source
6. Copy all the files from the source to the target
7. Start the target instance
8. ready - it works - all the data is available.