Thread: Oracle

Unanswered: Oracle

Has anyone noticed that Oracle can be a little bit difficult to work with at times?? Maybe some compatbility issues as well??

Provided Answers: 6
    What are you bored? I have some database design work to do that I am putting off if you need something to do.

Most software is crap and that includes the stuff the big boys like MS and Oracle put out. That's why companies hire jerks like us.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Unhappy Thrasy

No I was just trying to get some Opinions from the Gurus thats all. Was wondering about the pros and cons besides. I already know that the security with Oracle compared to sql is better, but I was hoping for a little bit more info thats all. Geeezzzz

Provided Answers: 6
    Sorry. I get a little punchy late in the day. All I know about ORACLE is that it is more expensive to impliment and that it can supposedly handle more of a workload but those ideas where drilled into my head years ago and SQL Server gets better and more powerful with each release. If you really want to know about Oracle I would post this in the Oracle forum.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Ok

I was just trying to get the SQL Crews point of view too thanks anyways

Provided Answers: 1
    Oracle security better than SQL Server's? Not that I am aware of. Supposedly Oracle is better for extremely large (terabyte) databases, but the Oracle databases I've worked with in the under-gigabyte range have run like slugs compared to SQL Server. 15+ seconds to perform SELECT COUNT(*) from a table with 500 records.
    Also, for ease of use SQL Server beats Oracle HANDS-DOWN. No developer I've met likes working with Oracle.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Talking Aahhhh Haaaaaa!!!

Now I'm getting some serious feed back....Inquisitive Minds want to know..SPEAK TO ME GURUS SPEAK TO YOUR HUMBLE STUDENT

if you are in the position of actually being able to make a choice on which database to use for a specific project, then you are either independently wealthy, in which case why not buy the most expensive solution, it looks better on you when they do that cover story on you in forbes, or else you're dreaming in technicolour

99 and 44/100ths of the database professionals in the real world don't get to make that choice

in fact, i'm guessing the odds of finding someone compentent in both are vanishingly small

so, bottom line: stick to the one you know best
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 54
    Oracle can do bigger databases, and can give better performance than SQL Server. Note that those observations are both in absolute terms.

To get equal performance from Oracle as you get from MS-SQL, I usually budget 8 to 10 times as much for hardware and software (more or less one time expenses), and at least five times as much for wetware (DBAs and operations crew). To get more performance, it takes more hardware and usually more wetware.

Using Oracle effectively requires a very different mindset than MS-SQL. Very few people can do both well. If you have mainframe staff, they often find Oracle a very comfortable fit. Oracle is usually relatively difficult for people with MS-Access experience, just because they have a very different mental model for how software/PCs work.

Neither Oracle nor MS-SQL is implicitly "better" or "worse" than the other, any more than a semi tractor/trailer is "better" or "worse" than a pickup truck or a train. Each has tasks they do well, and tasks they do poorly. You can do many tasks with more than one of those tools, but any given task is likely to be done much better by one tool than the others. You need to find the right tool for the task you are trying to do.

-PatP

R937

you misunderstand I am only seeking to learn the difference between the two I'll be reading books as well as from the DBa Gurus on this forum. I posted on the Oracle section of this site also. Just being Inquisitive, databases fascinate me thats all and its nice to learn about them from other DBAs that have the most experience with them, thats all.

Thank You Pat

Thanks Pat I appreciate your answer.