Unanswered: corrupt database with no viable backup

We have a corrupt db with no viable backup.

I can see that there is data in the tables but systabauth is corrupted and I can't run any queries on the tables. I get the following error.

211: Cannot read system catalog (systabauth).
    172: ISAM error: Unexpected internal error

When I perform a check of the tables, I get the following error message:

TBLspace data check for jnic:informix.systabauth
    BAD PAGE 0x40a59f: Invalid bitmap page 0: unexpected page type 16

Is there any way to patch the sys tables(specifically systabauth)? We have another duplicate database without all the data populated.

Or is there anyway to retrieve data with a corrupted systabauth? Even if we can't retrieve all the data, it would be nice to retrieve partial data.

Thanks,

Ray

Hi,

Did u try by just copying the chunks(excluding the rootdbs) from the corrupted db to the duplicate db, in case the sysmaster db is in rootdbs.

bye

No I haven't tried this. Is there a special procedure I need to follow to do this? I will check online and report back if I have any success.

Thanks!

Hi,

Just create the dbspaces in the duplicate db with same name and pointing to the same named chunks. Then in offline mode itself, copy the production db chucks to the duplicate db chunk location and overwrite them. Then try bringing the Informix online.

I hope that it may help.

Please let me know what happens.

Bye

Hi,

I tried the copying all the chunks in duplicate except for the one having sysmaster db, but on initializing, it gave sanity error. When I copied all the chunks, there was no error and it recongnized all the dbs as on the production system.

I am sorry, my earlier suggestion wont work.

thanks for the suggestions. I have tried copying in the chunk files in various trials (sysmaster (rootdbs) appears to be the bad one) but I've not had any luck in being able to retrieve any data from the chunk file I need to. Informix complains about the new chunk and tries to right the ship. In some cases Informix does get back to a sane level but cannot read the chunk that doens't fit. Whne I try to look at our db, I get errors like:

Validating database jnic
    ISAM error: TBLspace does not exist

I've looked at a couple of ways to relink but nothing has worked so far.

Again thanks for the suggestions. I realized from the beginning this might be a lost cause.

Ray