Question Unanswered: Sending data from central database to other sites

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a project and I need to find a way to have data sent from a central database to a bunch of different databases, sort of like a central location where info is stored, but websites can copy pieces of the DB to their own system. Is there a way to do this? And does MySQL support this?

Also, after the data is updated in a central database, is there a way for it to update all the other sites the data was sent to previously? Thanks, hope everyone has a great New Year!

Provided Answers: 1
    The techy term for what you're talking about is replication, and it's quite the can of worms.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks for the quick reply

Looks like it's time to do quite a bit of reading....

Provided Answers: 54
    Replication comes in many flavors, each with its own pluses and minuses.

I don't know of any MySQL tools that will do what you want, although I can't think of any reason why they couldn't be developed.

This problem would be easy to handle in Microsoft SQL. That product has a relatively powerful replicaiton tool set built into it. Depending on your needs, you could probably have a single central site running Enterprise Edition (rather expensive), along with many Standard (moderately expensive) or MSDE (practically free) versions.

-PatP

Home made replication

If you don't want to use build in replication tools, try exporting data to a delimited text file and import that data using a "insert from file" or "replace from file" instruction, I've tested it and it's amazingly fast