Unanswered: SQL Server Shrinking

OK here's my dilema:

I have a SQL Server database (in 2000) which is 3 gig in size. I am using bulk-logged as the recovery model (I've tried simple.)

We import 300,000+ records on a monthly basis. This increases the tranlog with each import (and often times records need to be deleted and re-imported due to bad fields on the import files) and it ends up growing the tranlog to over 1 gig by the end of the day.

I've tried and tried but I can't shrink the tranlog! I've used every shrink type command and option (with truncate_only, emptyfile, etc.) but I still can't shrink the tranlog.

The database is set on a once a month backup schedule (which includes backing up the tranlog.)

Any help would be great! I was able to shrink it once after issuing several commands (i.e. dbcc commands + shrinkfile, shrinkdatabase, etc.) but I can't remember the combination of commands I used and I can't get it to shrink last time now no matter what I do!

I cannot use BCP or DTS or any other type of SQL Server importing process! I need to use the Access front end to do the importing (linked tables) because there are simply too many checks it needs to do which BCP or DTS can't handle. I do however use some stored procedures to help with the importing process speed.

Again, Any help would be great as we have 300,000+ records to import today and having a 1 gig tranlog slows things down. How can I shrink a stubborn tranlog which doesn't want to shrink and what's the best type of configuration for this database?

What I tried

I tried this and it seemed to work but I don't really like this solution:

I changed the recover model from bulk-logged to simply
    Then I re-issued the shrink database command.
    Then changed the recovery model back to bulk-logged.
    The tranlog then shrunk down to 20meg from 1 gig.

It finally shrunk! Any ideas out there?

Run this against the database for which you wish to shrink the log file on:

--set recovery model to simple
    declare @dbname varchar(30)
    declare @sqlstr varchar(1000)

set @dbname = (select db_name())

set @sqlstr = 'alter database ' + @dbname + ' set recovery simple'

exec(@sqlstr)
    go
    --shrink log file
    checkpoint
    declare @dblogfile varchar(30)
    declare @sqlstr varchar(1000)

set @dblogfile = (select name from sysfiles where fileid = 2)

set @sqlstr = 'dbcc shrinkfile (' + @dblogfile + ', 1)'

exec(@sqlstr)
    go
    Last edited by Dr_Clong; 12-30-04 at 15:51.