Unanswered: continuous form with repeating values - how to stop!

I have a continuous form based on a query which will not allow me to update fields on the query. I need to be able to enter info into fields on the form. The problem is when the textboxes are attached to a field from the query I cannot enter a value but when I unbound the textbox and enter a value on the form, the value I enter repeats in each instance of the textbox.

The only way I have been able to enter a value without having it repeat is to directly link the form to the table. But in this instance, I need to have it linked to a query where I can't edit the values.

Thanks for any help!

Norm

I've run into a similar problem in the past, but as far as I know the only way to avoid this sort of thing is to avoid an unbound control on continuous forms. If you can't work around your locked query then I'm afraid your scheme may not work. You may have to get creative with subforms, etc. in order to allow the editing.

Jeremy

Hi Norm801 and Happy New Year to you!!!!

Would it be possible for you to make a small copy of your database, sensitive data replaced with dummy data, Zipped down and Posted here? Might get some eyes on it to help you out, and also state just what your situation is, your starting points, snags...etc.

have a nice one,
    BUD

Sample

Ok - Here is a sample database.

Basically, if you open the form you can see 2 rows per project. I want to be able to type a new value into a box with the blue background. Once the value is entered, I will post it into the appropriate field on a table. The problem I'm facing is if I bound the blue box I can't type anything in it and if leave it unbound and type a value, the value will repeat itself all the way down the screen.

Thanks for the help!

Norm
    Attached Files Attached Files

Norm - I've taken a look at your Database. You build a nice form, and have done a fine job of making it look clean, unlike most "Continuous" forms look. However, the problem is that this is still a continous form. Most often, the use Continuous Forms is to simply DISPLAY data, and not be able to edit (or, as many threads have asked, to be able to display certain lines or records differently from others). As you've discovered, doing something to one line of a continuous form usually makes it more or less done for all lines. So - the workaround I usually use?

Have the Row Indicator be present on the far left side of the form. It will show on every record or line. In the properties for the continuous form itself, modify the "On Dbl Click" property, and add in some code to open another sub-form when this occurs -it's easy to do using this type of code:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmName", , , "RecordID=forms.frmMainForm.frmSubForm.form.Record ID"

Have a specific "SingleView" Subform open up (named "frmName" in my example) that ONLY shows the data of the record on which the user has double-clicked. Let them customize those fields to their hearts' content, and when they click on a close button for that subform, then have your main continuous form do a requery to then show the modified data.

Hope this helps.

See my responses to this thread: http://www.dbforums.com/t1098653.html
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it a whirl.