Unanswered: I need some help/direction

I'm very new to databases and I need some help. I'm a computer science engineer who's done a lot of coding in assembly, Basic, C++, java, HTML, and VBA. I'm currently a student but I'm also working for a large company developing software tools.

I've been requested to create a database-based application and I need some help in figuring out which database I should use. I have three current choices of Oracle, MySQL, or PostgreSQL.

Below is a rough scheme of the application layout:

The application will consist of a few databases. One database will automatically go to another website(or another database) collect information and store that information.
    Another database will contain a large number(100-200) of java files that will be updated and added to every month.
    Another database will consist of files for each user. These files will contain the information for the layout of their personal page, their shared files, and their private files.
    The application will be web based and will only be accessable from inside the company.

The user will work with the application as follows:
    1) Type in a URL to a logon site
    2) After successful logon, a user's personal page appears
    3) Page will allow them to run a java web applet, run trend analysis on database information, search files that other's have shared, remove/add shared files, remove/add private files, logout, change personal information, and other small functions.
    4) Users can run the java web applet program and then can either save the information to the database for storage or delete the information.
    5) User can search for other user's files and send e-mails to the users.
    6) etc..

There will be approximatly 100-500 users and the size of the database should not reach over 100GB.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

-Pilot

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    Don't logoff, don't take your coat, just Run!
    NOTE: Please disregard the label "Senior Member".

It's not that bad...

I have until the last week of May to figure out which database I'm using and how to interface with it.

How long do you think a project like this would take you to do?

Seriously.

If you pose a question about which database to use on an Oracle forum you are either hoping to use Oracle or you think we are all very altruistic.

I would say use Oracle. I think rather then multiple databases all you really need is one database with multiple tables.

Other than that you can heed my first response or pay close attention in class, take good notes, and work, work, work. (I hope your current schooling has something to do with Oracle).

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Barkus
    Other than that you can heed my first response or pay close attention in class, take good notes, and work, work, work. (I hope your current schooling has something to do with Oracle).
    That's the bad news. This is going to be 100% learn by myself. I'm going to pick up books and tutoirials and go through them but I still don't have a starting point.

I'm pretty confident I can get the skills down in the allotted time I just need to figure out which database to start on. I know 100% that Oracle will do the trick. Therefore the question is; Does an open-source database exist that would do the job? If so, then can the open-source database be easily converted into Oracle if need be?

Judging by your past I think you can get down the skills also.

I do not know how well MySQL etc. maps to Oracle (ask on that forum).

I know what you want to do can be done on Oracle.

Good luck.

Oracles strengths are reliability, compatiability with lots of OSes, handling lots of users and data, coping with lots of contention (i.e. locking issues) and loads of features both for the developer and the DBA. The downsides are a steeper learning curve (get something like Quest TOAD) and cost (you will probably find Standard edition will be good enough and is a lot cheaper).

The other point is wether your app is a generic app you want to sell to lots olf people or wether it is a specific tightly specced app for a single customer. If it is a generic app go for Oracle as it will give you a lot more headroom to cope with unexpected requirements or change requests.

Alan

It will be a specific tightly speced app for a single company. It will have a good sized disturbution but it will never leave company property.