Unanswered: Need help ogranizing a simple SQL Schema

I'm writing a very simple printer monitoring application in VB.NET. My application actually requires the user to authenticate using a Passcode everytime he/she attempts to print. I am using SQL to store data about the Printers being monitored (my app queries the DB to discover what to monitor), the Passcodes, and the number of pages printed.

I am very new to SQL concepts, but I can write commands to use the SQL Data provider and can do very basic things. However, I do not know very much about relationships and so forth and am on somewhat of a tight deadline. I need the database to do this:

Contain the Passcodes; contain the Printers (by name), contain data about how many pages each passcode printed on each printer given a date range.

As I said I am a novice with SQL so I made 3 tables, Passcode, Printers, and JobsData (where each row is a job containing the date, passcode, printer used, and pages printed). I know what I have now is garbage. I would really like to take advantage of a relationship or something. Basically I am just asking for suggestions or (well I'm sure this is childishly simple for DB expert) just the proper way I should do this. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

see sample databases

Checkout the Northwind or Pubs sample databases that come with SQL Server. They have examples of relationships. You basically need a primary key for each table. To join tables A & B you put a foreign key in table B that references the primary key in table A.

You have done everything correctly.
    For example:

create table [User](
    [ID] int IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
    [Name] varchar(100),
    [Password] varchar(100),
    )
    go

create table Printer(
    [ID] int IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
    [Name] varchar(100),
    )
    go

create table jobs(
    [User_ID] int,
    Printer_ID int,
    JobDateTime datetime,
    NumberPrintedPage int,
    CONSTRAINT FK_User FOREIGN KEY ([User_ID])
    REFERENCES [User]([ID]),
    CONSTRAINT FK_Printer FOREIGN KEY ([Printer_ID])
    REFERENCES Printer([ID])
    )
    go

Wow, you both have been very helpful! I looked at Northwind and have learned a lot and that code you posted mwolf, works great. =) My only question now is how can I use the relationship made between User_ID, Printer_ID and the Jobs table? I want to create stored procedures and so forth that will allow me to display, let's say between date X and date Y, how many pages SomeUser printed and on each printer (I will add a paper cost too the Printer table) and how much it cost and things like that. Before when I had no relationships I could only come up with messy hacks that would display this information but many using the relationships I can make a more proper simpler way of displaying this data (I'm using .NET if it helps). Thanks everyone, very helpful!

You use the relationship by "joining" the table within a SQL statement.

-- Declare variables to hold your Criteria

declare @Username varchar(100),
    @MinDate datetime,
    @MaxDate datetime

-- Define the values

set @Username = 'John Smith'
    set @MinDate = '20040101'
    set @MaxDate = '20041231'

-- Execute SQL by JOINING the three tables together

select u.Name, p.Name, sum(j.NumberPrintedPage)
    from User u
    JOIN Job j on j.User_ID = u.ID
    JOIN Printer p on p.ID = j.Print_ID
    where u.Name = @UserName
    and j.JobDateTime between @MinDate and @MaxDate
    Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God holds others in contempt. - Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)