Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Lookup table insert, update, and delete...

All,

Just wondering if anyone is aware of a SQL server shareware utility that places a front end on a table to manage insert, update, and delete of rows on a lookup table.

We can certainly write this but before reinventing the wheel I figure I'd ask and see.

Many Thanks,

Isaac

The DB Explorer works extensively with look-ups. You will have to define the relationship by referential constraints in the database, or as navigation paths in the client front-end.

You find all resources at MayeticVillage

I'll be glad to answer all your questions about it.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

Provided Answers: 1
    You can edit table data directly in Enterprise Manager.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Smile Why not Query Analyzer?

You can even use the query analyzer to maintain your data by DML statements, but I invite you to experience the ease of working with the DB Explorer.
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

Gosh, I had no idea that DB Explorer was "shareware".

And all this time I've been going to the trouble of right-clicking on any table in Enterprise Manager and selecting "Open Table/Return All Rows"...

blindman

The idea behind the DB Explorer is to exploit the essence of the relational model: the relationship between entities. To work with single tables / views is simpel, any tool including the Enterprise Manager can do so. To put a table / view into a relational context is normally the exclusive domain of client application development, but the DB Explorer is able to generate a user interface on-the-fly, including lookups.

Moreover, you can instantly use the relationships to navigate through your data: from a customer record to the related order records, or vise versa from an order to the corresponding customer. Even within the Enterprise Manager with its knowledge of the existing relations, you would have to write SQL to do so; the DB Explorer works (almost) completely without SQL in the GUI.

Actually, the DB Explorer isn't shareware but freeware. The only restriction is that it can be used in a stand-alone / Client/Server configuration only. As soon as you want to use the tool in a three-tier or/and multi-user configuration, an evaluation period of 1 month will start.

Why don't you give it a try?

lookups

The problem I have with using enterprise mgr or query analyzer is that the users who will be doing the updates are very untechnical.

Ideally, I'd like to provide just a nice front end to the 4 or 5 tables that matter to them.

I can't overwhelm them with database names, a zillion other tables in a large list of tables, and cryptic column names etc etc etc.

Thanks,

Isaac

Then your cheapest solution is to create an Access Data Project linked to your SQL Server database, with an entry form for each table.

blindman

...Even cheaper would be to create updateable views and grant all permissions to those rather than the tables themselves.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

I think he is looking for a simple user interface, but it would definitely be a good idea to create the views you suggested, along with a login/role that only has access to those views, before allowing people into the database through an Access Data Project. Once they get into the .ADP file, they can get into anything their login allows, or that is poorly secured.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by ieruiz
    The problem I have with using enterprise mgr or query analyzer is that the users who will be doing the updates are very untechnical.

Ideally, I'd like to provide just a nice front end to the 4 or 5 tables that matter to them.

I can't overwhelm them with database names, a zillion other tables in a large list of tables, and cryptic column names etc etc etc.
    Isaac
    Please note that the DB Explorer allows you to present just the tables you need, with functional table and field names. There is also a quite complex access control mechanism integrated, which would allow you to grant read-write access to lookup tables, and read-only access or no access at all to other tables.

Please note that the poster requested a shareware solution. He did not ask for you to push your companys product by touting all the things it does which can also be done through Enterprise Manager.

DBForums has a Marketplace forum if you wish to advertise.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Please note that the poster requested a shareware solution. He did not ask for you to push your companys product by touting all the things it does which can also be done through Enterprise Manager.
    Which part of the freeware property or extended functionality which is definitively NOT possible with Enterprise Manager didn't you understand?

So your software is free? My apologies...

blindman

Apologies granted.

Donatations, however, are always appreciated.