Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: MS Access, MySQL, and ASP

Hi all

I am learning ASP and mySQL. As a starter, I have downloaded an ASP search engine example which uses MS Access. What I want to do is - use mySQL database instead.

If i convert my database to mySQL, what are, if any, changes i will need to make to the asp?

Hopefully, all i will need to do is just change the database type....

any ideas

dbob

you'll have to change the sql too
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

MS Access to mySql

What do you mean - the sql in the asp.........

I take it therefore that the asp code is different when using access, or sql?

no, the asp code will likely stay the same (minor changes for connection strings, database names, that kinda stuff)

what will change is the sql from one database to another

that's the nice thing about sql standards, there are so many to choose from ...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

access > sql

Right, thats interesting.

The only main change is from MS Access to sql- right.....The data structure will probably be different somewhat i imagine

Well, standards....thats another aspect.

I have a MS A db that I will have to convert to mySQL, without doubt. Its just finding the write method.

I think its inevitable, though i dread having to migrate to a new technology, esepcially, when I've got so much at stake.

tahnks fr your hlp

Regarding changing the SQL to fit the new DB, I have a question:

In Access you designate date values in SQL commands by surrounding them with '#'. How do you designate dates in MySQL? I assume it is different since I am getting "...error in SQL Syntax..." errors, but I cannot find how to do this correctly.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind - I figured it out. Just like text... with a single quote. Thanks anyway!
    Last edited by richy240; 01-05-05 at 17:07.

mssql and sql??

Hi,

can someone confirm to me if mssql is a version of mysql

thanks

MS SQL is Microsoft SQL... yes?

i can confirm that mssql is not a version of mysql
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Differnce between MS SQL and mySQL

mmm.

So if I want to migrate from MS Access to mySQL, then this is fine. But I take it therefore that I can migrate from MS Access to MS SQL, and that MS SQL is not only a server technology, but a database programming language?

the "database programming language" used by microsoft sql server is called transact-sql
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Provided Answers: 59
    you can migrate you Access database to MySQL using a suitable tool such as dbTools (www.dbtools.com.br) which will do most of the work. However its a labour saving device, it can't do everything for you. It will create the columns, indexes, and depending on the version of MySQL you are using the relationships.

It doens't however do the "whole" job, you will still need to do some work on the table & index design to get the best out of MySQL. Some of the datatypes don't match up identically, and some indexes supported in MySQL are not supported, or not supported particularly well, in Access (full text indexes come to mind).

There are differences between Access SQL & ISO SQL (and ISO SQL and MySQL SQL but these are much less then Access). I think the main ones are to do with dates and wild card expressions, use of double quotes " or single quotes around string literals etc.
    HTH

so many sqls!

OK, if I want to host a sql database on a MS SQL Server 2000, then transact-sql is the sql version I need to use.

I am just trying to cut down the many variables here.

I have an asp project / tutorial that I have been working on for a while now. I hope it will be good "work experience". The asp project runs fine with access. But, of course i want to develop further.

But, as always, by knowing where to start looking really helps.

sorted
    d

MS Access Convert to MS SQL

I have downloaded a demo of Access to MS SQL 2.1 (Intelligent Converters).

I have mysql, a C (C:/mysql).

When I run MS SQL 2.1 convert, the program asks for a 'MS SQL Server'. Where can i find this.

It also asks for a login name and password.....?

winmysqladmin & MySqlManager are included in the C:/mysql folder.

d

Quote Originally Posted by dbob
    I have downloaded a demo of Access to MS SQL 2.1 (Intelligent Converters).

I have mysql, a C (C:/mysql).

When I run MS SQL 2.1 convert, the program asks for a 'MS SQL Server'. Where can i find this.

It also asks for a login name and password.....?

winmysqladmin & MySqlManager are included in the C:/mysql folder.

d
    You are trying to convert from Access to Microsoft SQL or MySQL? They are two very different database packages...

If you are trying to convert to MySQL, I recommend DBManager Professional (Freeware version). It does a pretty good job, but I am by no means an expert. I had to correct a few things, and there are some pitfalls to keep in mind if you are linking the tables back to Access, but all-in-all I am pleased with the software - especially since it is free. (http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/index.php - Click the 'Downloads' link and fill out the form to get the installation file.)

If you are trying to convert to Microsoft SQL, I think there are some built-in tools in Access and MS SQL that will do this for you. Research it further, and I am sure you will find the information you seek.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: I just realized this information was already listed above... I guess I should read all the most recent posts before recommending something!
    Last edited by richy240; 01-07-05 at 11:47.