Question Unanswered: Create Backups Without Appending Media?

Hey All,
    I am currently backing up a SQL 2000 Database by doing full backups everynight. I would like to cut this back to once a week and do differential backups during the week. BUT... How can I do differential backups without appending or overwriting the night befores backup? I'm sure this can be done through command line but im not exactly sure of the process. If anyone can help please post...

Thanks,
    Jared

Provided Answers: 6
    I am a little cloudy about what a third option there would be other than overwrite or append. Are you trying to put it in a different location everyday? It is getting late in the work day for me so maybe I am just being cloudy.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 6
    Differentials going to different places might not work. very cloudy indeed.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I probally didn't explain it that well... I want to be able to keep a week of differential backups. They would have to be named differently (say, by date) so when Tuesdays backup ran it wouldn't overwrite or append to Mondays backup. There would be 2 files now.
    Ex. Live_1_03_2004.bak and
    Live_1_04_2004.bak

Thanks for the help,
    Jared

okay try this

create 2 backup devices dbfull and dbdiff
    then create a job to backup db to dbfull every sunday??? with init
    then create a job to backup db to dfdiff monday thru friday with noinit, differential
    this will keep each diff in the same backup device as distinct backups

it will not append the current nights backup to the previous nights backup but it will place both of them in the same backup device so you can restore from the diff that you want.

then create a job that to backup db to dbdiff saturday night with init, diff
    this will overwrite the diffs created earlier in the week.

there are many ways to do this

ps
    you should backup your tlog as well.

Books Online {Backup Devices}
    Books Online {BACKUP}
    Books Online {Creating Jobs}