Question Unanswered: Error message on Add Record

Hi,

I have a database storing shaft technical data (Access97).

My problem is this:

The database is on our server and two other people may be using it at the same time.
    When using the form to allow adding/editing of data the command button will work fine for me (it will add new record when I require), but for others, the message "you cannot go to the specified record. You may be at the end of the record set".

It doesn't matter whether the others are using it exclusively or sharing.
    There are no security users/passwords to use the database, just one general one to open the 'editing form'. Once open anyone should be able to add/edit.

I am the only one who has a user profile as I am the owner/administrator.

How can I correct this?
    Any anwers will be gratefully received as long as it is in the most basic of instructions - step by step would be great!!

Thank you

Sherri (the muppet)

questions

is the front end on the clients with the backend on the server or is the whole database on the server and they have shortcuts to it. I would check the security permisions on the database itself, set by windows server. Make sure every user that needs to use it has full security access to that file. Or just give it the everyone account(which i hate doing).

Hi,

The complete database is on the server and everyone just uses a shortcut from their desktop.

There are no security settings for any of it except just a basic password to open the editing page (not for security purposes, but just so that it is not edited by accident). But once the page is open, there are no other user restrictions set.

Everyone has no problem opening it.

One other thing, which may have something to do with it....... when I open the database (or any for that matter) on my computer I have a password box appear, but it doesn't on anyone elses machine.
    Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks

Sherri
    Last edited by I'mSherriToo; 01-06-05 at 08:38. Reason: muppetry

Most Likely yes

MOst Likely yes. If the password box appearing is an "access" password box like username=administrator password=johndoe then you have a workgroup information file set along with this database. You must go to each Computer client and use the workgroup administrator tool located under tools,security in access 2002, and access 2003 and join the correct secured.mdw file you have created. if the secured.mdw file is located on your machine then i would suggest placing a copy of it on the server where your database is. That way when you run the workgroup administrator tool you pick join then it will ask you where the file is , point to your server,then the folder it is on and join that mdw file. by the way to run workgroup administrator in access 2000 or less go to your start button , click run, hit the browse button, go to c:drive,program files,microsoft office,1033 directory and you should see a file called wrkadm.exe run that and it will do the same thing. HGope this helps. everyone needs to be useing the same workgroup file if one was created for the database.

Thanks,
    I understand what you mean and I will have a go a bit later today.

Thanks for your help

Sherri []

Well, I've gone to one workstation and joined the workgroup which is located on the server, but when I start the database I don't get a login box and the problem remains with the error on the form.

If I look at the user permissions from this workstation, it is listing all the forms, tables etc. etc. show correctly but the only users listed are Admins & Users.
    It does not allow me to alter anything, so that's correct, but why is there no login box on opening the database?

Thanks

Sherri

try this

since your machine is prompting you for a logon run the workgroup adminstrator on your machine and write down the secured.mdw that you are pointing to i have a feeling you are pointing to another one than the one on the server. This is the only thing that makes sense.

Hi,

I've double checked and it is definately pointing to the system.mdw file on the server with the database.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Sherri

OK, if I can't get the login box to appear for other users, how do I remove the workgroup and security so that everyone can look at everything.
    Just removing the users doesn't alter the fact that it keeps giving me this Record Set Error when trying to add a record.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Sherri

Another thought!

Instead of removing the workgroup, what if I specify it in the shortcut from the desktop? Will that work?

If so, how do I do it?

Thanks

Sherri