A program (written by someone no longer employed here) is running properly on 2 machines running 98 SE. I have tried to transfer the program to a machine running XP and have had numberous problems. I believe the program was written under VB 5.0, but I'm not sure. I will tell you the steps I have taken to this point and maybe that will help.
1. Transfer all files associated with the program to the XP Machine.
2. Error loading vb40016.dll (I installed the VB 4.0 runtime files for 16-bit applications).
3. Error loading comdlg16.dll (downloaded this file from the web and placed it in the windows/system folder.
4. Cannot find oc25.ocx (downloaded this file and placed in windows/system also)
5. Runtime error 424 (Object required)
After extensive research I found out that the above files (and all other .ocx) files need to be registered within windows. I found the different objects by opening the main .vbp file in notepad and got the following:
I verified that all the files were present in C:\Windows\System
I then went to Start -> Run and typed in the following "regsvr16.exe comdlg16.ocx" (without the quotes). I did this for all of the .ocx and .dll files listed in the information above. When I got to dbgrid16.ocx, I received the following message "LoadLibrary("DBGRID16.ocx") Failed. I skipped that one and proceeded to register the others. I then tried to reopen the program and received a new error message "Runtime error 525 Data Access Error".
I am guessing that at the point of the error the program is trying to communicate with our Access 2.0 Database.
Please be warned I have virtually no knowledge of VB.