Unanswered: How to make a table or form

I know i need to make a table but i am not sure how to go about it. I want to make a table that would have the following info

Number of persons living in household ___ # Males___ #female___ total___

Number of persons in each group 0-5__ 6-12__ so on Then Total

Number of persons in school__ K-6__ 7-12__ post sec___ total

should i make seperat tables for each or one table with all the results, check boxes i not sure where to start

Below all this information, each person who is in the categories below will have a sub form with their nam occupation , field of study, etc this table is already done but not sure what to do with the top.

Any suggestions appreciated

Newfiebullet

sounds like homework to me
    Have you made an attempt (even if you dont think its right) that way people can help you rather than do your work for you,

your design also depends on what you want to do i.e. extraction wise

Dave

Provided Answers: 1
    What's the difference between a household and a group?

It sounds to me like you'll need AT LEAST two tables. Probably 4 depending on what this "group" thing is all about.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 59
    I rerad number of persons in group as number of people in a specified age range in the house
    eg 0-5
    6-10
    11-15 und so weiter

Yes i have made an attempt, I have 2 tables made and what i have done is in the first table i have the # of People in household as field 1 in the next field i have Male nest field i have females and next total. After that i have Number of persons in each age group and then i go 0-5in one field then 5-9 and so on.

I then got a form and a subform made with all the info into it. the peson just types in the info at the top with # of persons and so on. In the subform for every person at the top the is an entry for that person to in the subform.

In fact is the is 3 in the house hold the the are 3 people linked to that household.

Newfiebullet

any input appreciated

Question

Hi NewfieBullet,

Exactly how do you have your Relationships setup? You have Forms and SubForms already, based on Table or Query? How does one group relate to the other? Are you able to Input any data into either of the forms? Are they Updateable?

trying to see what's going on...
    have a nice one,
    BUD

Homework

If this is homework I suspect that putting a field for male, a field for female and then a field for the total will lose you marks. I could be wrong but it looks like they're expecting you to do something different for the total.

Last edited by Ryker; 01-07-05 at 09:01.

Smile

Hi: Thanks for the reply

This is not home work, A friend asked me to do this for him. I have 2 tables and they are linked by id in the first table and Program id in the second, the second is a foreign key. The first table has the first criteria and the second has the individual info in it. Like if there was 4 per house in the subform u would have 4 sub entries in that for the first criteria.
    It is wanted to know the totals for each age group and totals for employment status etc.

You will be able to update the forms.

Do you have any suggestions for the totals field?

NewfieBullet

Red face Totals

Do you have any suggestions for a totals field
    Yes. Don't do one. the total is a function of the sum of males and females. When you need to see it it should appear in a report or a query as just that, the sum of the male and female columns. Some databases allow a calculated field for this sort of thing, but Access isn't too hot on that, and quite rightly, it's information that really shgould not be stored, but produced.

If it were a school assignment I'm sure you'd get marked down for putting a total field in.

It sounds to me as if you are taking a bit of a backward approach to the DB. To start have your table table needs no tabulated information. That is what SQL and VBA is for. You stated in the question that you have a sub form with Name occupaton etc. I would have an entry for each person with the pertinent data including the house ID or the like and query from there.

My 2 Cents.
    Darasen

To get the whole thing right, you first really need into structuring your tables correctly from the beginning. Just by looking at what you posted you haven't correctly set your tables and therefore probably don't have any Relationships established. Might I highly suggest picking up a basic book on Relational Databases, whether it be Access or not, the principle is the same. Can you post your database here so that we may at least evaluate it to perhaps better guide you in the right starting point? If your Tables are incorrectly setup then nothing we can do here will make anything else work properly, be it forms or reports or whatever. Friendly advice.

have a nice one,
    BUD