Unanswered: call query with parameter

I have a query with 2 parameters.
    When I run the query the user must fill in the values of these 2 parameters before showing any results.
    What I need now is to use this query in a report where I already know the values of these parameters.
    So, the datasource of the Report is the query but I cannot figure out how to initialise the parameters of the query without prompting anymore the user.
    Can you help me out?
    Thx

2 options
    change the query without the parameters if they are not needed and replace them with the values you want or refrences to the values you want,

or create a new query and base you report on that

or do you have something else in mind
    Dave

Talking

Hi rtanislav,

Take a look at the sample I posted and see if this gets you what you want.

have a nice one,
    BUD
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've changed the query without parameter and is working fine but I dont like this solution.
    Actually, the query made a grouping by Month and Country, the 2 parameters, and calculated some SUM.
    For example if the user entered Month=8 and Country=UK the query returned:
    Turnover = 1000
    Now, without parameters I get something like:
    Month=1, Country=UK, Turnover=1000
    Month=1, Country=DE, Turnover=1000
    Month=2, Country=UK, Turnover=1000
    Month=3, Country=UK, Turnover=1000
    Month=3, Country=FR, Turnover=1000

All I wanted was just to use the same query as before, with 2 parameteres, but just feeding these parameters from a Report.
    Actually, the Report is already asking the User for the Month parameter and is really anoying to ask him again for the query ...

far as i know you cant extract the parameter values for reuse in another query, but then i don't use parameter queries: never have done; never will do - they are horribly ugly.

get rid of your parameter queries!

make a couple of textboxes somewhere (perhaps on the form where you heve the "lets go" button, perhaps on a separate form) and persuade your user to enter the dates there -- perhaps even use my date gathering utility to feed the textboxes.

now you have user input somewhere useful you can do some checks to make sure the input is valid (startDate < endDate, etc etc etc)

...and more importantly you can now feed these date criteria to as many different queries as you like.

strip the parameters out of your query. in the query design grid click the criteria box under one of your date fields and use the magic wand wizard thing in the menubar.
    in the wizard dialog...
    --left-pane: navigate thru forms, all forms, the form with your new textboxes
    --middle-pane: double-click the textbox.

now your query uses the criteria from the form, and as long as the form stays open you can feed the same criteria to as many queries as you like.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Smile

Hi izyrider,

That was exactly what I posted on here for rtanislav to use as an example. I created a DialogForm that has 2 TextBoxes for you to input your Dates you are wanting to search for..one for Beginning and one for Ending. These TextBoxes already have the field formatted for dates as well. Then simply Click the CommandButton to either Open the Report or a Form. Also a Reset button to Clear out the entries. Take a look at it. Didn't use the ParameterQuery thingy either. Anywho....that was my attempt at assisting.

have a nice one
    BUD

sorry Bud.
    my fault for not downloading your .zip: didn't intend to post a dupe.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    sorry Bud.
    my fault for not downloading your .zip: didn't intend to post a dupe.

izy
    Hahaha, funny. Not sure if it's really a dupe or not being as I didn't look at it. Actually talking to rtanislav. But I think we had the same idea for a solution though.

smiles and smiles,
    BUD