Unanswered: demo ec program does not connect with demo data base

I installed informix and esql ( I do not believe I installed the whole sdk because it looked like java centric , maybe the mistake). I can install and link the demo1 program but when it runs I realized it does not return anything from the data base. This is on Aix 5.1

The Data base is installed in /informix ( ids 9.4) and it is running and I can use dbaccess to get the same data the program is supposed to return, so that is cool.

The esql and stuff is installed in /informix_client. When I compile it goes good with no erros. When I run it, I get , the messages that it is running etc ( the printfs), but no messages with the data it is supposed to get.

The env

INFORMIXSERVER=demo_on
    INFORMIXDIR=/informix_client ( also tried as /informix)
    INFORMIXSQLHOSTS=/informix/etc/sqlhosts

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene

additional information

I am sure I have installed ESQLC and Iconnect which I thought would be sufficient. I am tempted to go ahead and install the rest of the client SDK but it all looked like Java stuff and I did have a working compiling and linking configuration ( afraid the install might set me back)

A little More

When my demo program runs (getcd_me.ec) it comes back with a Error -409 during data base: Sqlexec was not found or was not executable by the current user

I cannot find Sqlexec anywhere on my system, and it is not a daemon

I finally figured out my problem, ( but not with help from IBM), I had apparently downloaded and older version of I Connect (3 something) and when I re downloaded a more recent version (9 something) and re installed everything (not knowing where the problem was). It started working.

I would venture to say that should do a better job on its web site or in its documentation ( their lack of support and docs were a big problem), so that people don;t waste a lot of time with crappy software.