Unanswered: backing up tables based on time

how do I set this up?

I know how to do all the backing up part just not sure how to make the database back up the tables based on the time.

Also I want to be able to name the folder by Date

there are three obvious ways (and maybe many others)

you can use a timer in your access application to trigger an event ...personally, i don't think a millisecond timer is appropriate for something that happens once a day!

you can use your application _load and/or _unload to make a backup each time a user comes in or out (this is my normal route - makes no sense to backup if nobody is using the stuff).

you can write a small separate application that does ONLY backup and use windows scheduler to launch it.

making the filename is no issue:

dim myName as string
    dim myNow as date
    myNow= now()
    myName = "BAK" & year(myNow) & month(MyNow) & day(myNow) & ".BAK"

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

thanks i figured out how i am goin to do it..

Provided Answers: 1
    I KNOW you're not going to just leave it at that...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

sorry ok... here is what i'm goin to do from the login screen when it closes it will open a form hidden in the background that will keep track of the time and refresh every second based on the timer.. when the text box = 5:35 pm it will then do all backups and close. I am only putting this on my version of the program so that it will not duplicate backups from the other users.

Provided Answers: 59
    Sounds kind of risky to me...
    how are you making sure there are no users updating the db whilst you run your backup. Just saying no one uses it after 17:35 is taking a heck of a risk, especailly as over time the reason for logging out by then willhave slipped from many peoples minds.

It may be worthwhile to use some function that forces users to disconnect (not sure where I came accross it (possibly Allen Brownes site)), I'd also consider using the lockfile manipulation programs to stop new people logging in when you want to perform a maintenance task.

Mind you, why do it through Access, couldn't you do it as a straightforward dos copy at some truly odd hour of the night, or possibly very early in the morning. Users often seem happy to stay on outside normal hours, but rarely (thank god) come in early.

Sounds like you need to consider having a proper backup system, triggered by a timer / scheduler. Needn't be anything fancy such as to tape but you could dump the files to hard disk and write to CD manually the following day.

If you can't track down the lockout program drop a note there and I will try to find it at work on Monday
    HTH

well just to let you know the physical environment that i am in... there are only 7 people in my office and I can see everyone of them at once. Also, I am only putting that form on my computers front end. If I am out they do know to have my computer on for the end of the day... or I can just take care of it from home.