Unanswered: Is MS Access right for me?

Ok, here's a little background about my site...

The URL is www.vgameforce.com and it's a video game site that covers a lot of information. I have quite a few DB's that I made in Access that are used so users can input things for certain games and have user profiles. I want to build the site so it can allow at least 1000 users at once but I don't know if Access is right for that.

I've heard that Access has problems holding large amounts of users but I have not encountered any problems except when I occasionally forget to close an SQL statement.

My questions are...

Should I be using Access for all the content I want to have? I already have quite a few databases running.

How many users can Access have on at once compared to other DB forms like MySQL?

How fast is Access compared to other DB forms?

What's Access's outlook for the future? Will it get better with future versions? I don't know much about DB's...

How easy would it be for me to convert my access tables to a different DB if I have to?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Access is not for you ...

Access allows for a MAX of 255 concurrent connections.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 1
    MySQL is far more suited to this application. It was designed to do exactly what you are describing in the environment you wish to work in.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 59
    xtgeminiman
    Both Teddy and M Owen are reccomending that you do not use the Access database engine (JET) for your appliction. They are almost certainly correct. I know there are some ISP's out there offering Access/JET as a data back end. You do need to be aware that JET doesn't scale up very well, byt htat I mean as you have more and more users runnign concurrently it will slow down and eventauly break.
    So thats the bad news, it can be used for some sites, depends on volume. If the worst comes to the worse, and you do not have access to a SQL server to develop you data model then MS Access is quite a good methodl to devlop your data model. However I would recomend that you make sure you are using ISO/ANSI SQL compatibility option. JET strays quite away from the international ISO standard SQL, although it is true to say that virtually no server product meets the standards in their entireity.

I have succesfully run the data capture of a e-commerce site using MS Access as the local design & data master and MySQL as the child dependant database on an ISP's server.

So in answer to your questions
    I've heard that Access has problems holding large amounts of users but I have not encountered any problems except when I occasionally forget to close an SQL statement.
    Holding large amounts of data not really a problem Access runs fine on hundreds of thousands of records, but will have problems with more than 255 users, but you are not going to get anywhere near that, providing the site is designed properly you will have a lot less than that, after all the users is only connected for as long as the script requires the connection, and depending on what scripting language you are using potentially that is anywhere between 1 and say 5..10 connections

My questions are...

Should I be using Access for all the content I want to have? I already have quite a few databases running.
    Depends entirely on waht you want to support, what you are familar with and what you are prepared to pay for. Access is fine, upto a certain point, the limit is with the JET component, there are multi user applciations out there using a different back end such as SQL server, or Oracle or MySQL etrc with multi thousnad users.

How many users can Access have on at once compared to other DB forms like MySQL?
    M Owen cites 255 users, who am i to argue....

How fast is Access compared to other DB forms?
    In realtion to what, MySQL is generally screamingly fast, probably the fastest on the same hardware, but it lacks some of the features of the slower db engines. JET is probably fast enough for your needs

What's Access's outlook for the future? Will it get better with future versions? I don't know much about DB's...
    I'd be surprised if Microsoft drop MS Access, it is entirely possible they could, its entirely possible they could drop the JET engine in favour of a cut down version of SQL Server (AKA MSDE/ SQL Server workstation), but there will still be a database product from Microsoft and it will have some migration path from MS Access

How easy would it be for me to convert my access tables to a different DB if I have to?
    depends on the db, there are tools to migrate from Access to SQL Server (the upsizing wizard), Access to MySQL (DBTools). However you need to bear in mind these are cnversion tools they are not a complete solution, you need to re-design the applciation based on the strengths and/or weaknesses of the server.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, my site uses ASP so does that make a difference with MySQL? I set up a MySQL DB on my site. All my host gave me was a script tho. Is there a way to dl the database like Access or does MySQL work differently? I'm having a hard time getting started with MySQL.

Provided Answers: 59
    you can use MySQL with ASP, its just that all the examples & help will point to Microsoft products. I thinkl you need the ODBC connector installed on the web server. Suggest you talk to your ISP to find out wha tthey would reccomend and support. After all if there is a problem with your site, the last thing you want to hear from the ISP is sorry can't help because you are using a non standard product which we installed on your behalf but we nothing about. Once your site is up and running you expect the ISP tro look after all the security & operational issues like availability. If you are using a package they are not familiar with then you could end up with a compromised system because they either won't update, update belatedly or update incorrectly.

So talk to your ISP and see what they suggest