Arrow Unanswered: multiselect-update many

Hi all

I have a list box with a bunch of names in it that links to a subform on a master form. At the moment I click on a name and update details in the subform. It would be nice if I could multiselect names then update many details all at once without having to individually change each one. I tried the multiselect property but I get index or relationship errors. I don't have any relationships (because I'm not adding new records... just updating) and I changed the indexes to NO. Didn't work. I tried!! Any idea how I might get this working??

I appreciate any advice.

Damon
    Attached Files Attached Files

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl20
    Hi all

I have a list box with a bunch of names in it that links to a subform on a master form. At the moment I click on a name and update details in the subform. It would be nice if I could multiselect names then update many details all at once without having to individually change each one. I tried the multiselect property but I get index or relationship errors. I don't have any relationships (because I'm not adding new records... just updating) and I changed the indexes to NO. Didn't work. I tried!! Any idea how I might get this working??

I appreciate any advice.

Damon
    Hi Damon and "Welcome to the Forum"
    I looked at your database and looks nice appearance wise, however your Table structure needs some working done on it. Someone else can check on this too but my findings are:
    1. No Relationships set for tables
    2. The Data table has ID set to Autonumber and as the PrimaryKey.
    3. The Data table has EQID set to Text and also as PrimaryKey and then SchoolID as number but not as a Primary or ForeignKey.
    a. Need to get your tables in order and set up how they are to be related to one another so that your fields in the form are updateable.
    4. The Value_effort table has ID as Autonumber and as a PrimaryKey.
    a. BOTH the Data table and Value_effort table have a field named ID but is not a Relationship to one another.
    b. Not good naming in having a field simply named ID, but best to DEFINE what kinda of ID....i.e. SchoolID, BuildingID, etc.
    5. The Data table has EQID set to Indexed=No, but should probably be set to Indexed= Yes(No Duplicates), but then it's not related to anything so that won't matter much.
    6. Field sizes for ALL of your tables are set to 200 . Any good reason for that?
    7. So many Fields that you might wish to consider as another table or something....i.e. you have field Perf_rv, Perf_writing, Perf_oral, etc...so many. You did the same for these other fields too...[b]S1 and pe1 and pmp1 and lote1, art1, music1, imusc1, int_science and so on. All that in one table.

How is one table to be actually related to the other? What in one table has anything to do with the other? The error you get comes from having a Null value in the EQID field, and no Relationship. For a good start I would really look into the table structure first. You have a Parameter set in your Query for a Roll Class. Would a user not knowing what is in your database know to input something like 5a ? That needs a bit of rethinking, UNLESS, You will be the only one to ever use the program.
    Not being a bad person or anything but just noticed a few things that might need a closer look before you try to more on forward more. Best to get your house in order in the early stages than to go down the finished path and find out on release date after all users call in upset that there was something not so right in it. Please look into creating tables and establishing relationships. But then it's very late here...4:30 a.m. and getting sleepy and may have looked at it all wrong, so I am sure someone else will be along shortly to give it a looking over.
    This was all meant in a very friendly way and not at all meant to be ugly about this, just wanting to help you get it right in the beginning.

have a nice one,
    BUD

Hey Bud

Thanks for your detailed feedback on my DB. Your correct on all fronts. For the sake of reducing the size of the DB in posting it to the forum, I removed a lot of things... including the relationships. I do have a number of other tables. I consolidated them all so that the forms would work for you and only included the forms I needed to use in multi select mode. Anyway, I'll certainly consider a redesign and I suppose a lot will depend on what I need to do to get the multi select update concept working.

Points of clarification:
    1. The EQID field will never be null. It's related to another table.
    2. The text field size is too big... I have this set as default at 200 chars because I got badly burnt using access to back end an asp website. Long story. I had some major data loss and was all quite embarrassing. Anyway I'll reduce the size if it helps.
    3. The query you speak of is directly related to the form and doesn't run anywhere else. All teachers know their class name whether it be 5a, 6b or whatever. This won't be an issue.

So where to now??
    Provided I tidy up the table structure, what do I need to do to enable a multiselect mode that will enable many updates??

I appreciate any ideas.

Damon