Unanswered: SQL Trace Question

I ran a trace on my SQL Server and found that a single SELECT statement showed up the same number of times as the number of id numbers I was selecting on. In the hopes of optimizing my program, it ran worse

Instead of having:

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id='1'
    SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id='2'
    SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id='3'
    SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id='250'

for all the rows i need data from (sometimes up to 250 rows). I changed the select statement to:

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id='1' OR id='2' OR id='3' .. id='250'

When i run a SQL Trace if i have 250 id='num's in my SELECT, the same query shows up 250 times in the trace with high CPU and READS. Can Anyone explain and help me get the optimization Im looking for?

Provided Answers: 6
    are you worried about the number of SELECT statements in your trace or the performance of the query?

Have you applied an index to [id]? Is [id] unique? Is it the primary key? Is there a clustered index defined on the table already?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    Are you running this query through a VB script or application of some sort, or through Query Analyzer?

Thrasymachus & MCrowley:
    The id is unique and is a clustered index. I am definitly worried about the number of SELECT statements.

I wrote a sort of inbox (like an email inbox) for a fax server using VB6. Every 5 seconds i refresh a MSHFlexgrid that holds new faxes. Instead of getting new data for each fax in the inbox one row at a time, I want to get data for all faxes in my inbox with one query instead of number of queries=number of faxes. If my inbox has 250 new faxes and 10 people are using the inbox program at once, thats 2500 SELECT statements every 5 seconds if I go one row at a time. You can see why I wanted to make a refresh one query.

Im totally baffled! HELP!

Can Anyone else mkae sense of my problem?