Question Unanswered: Finding dates and Nulls

Hi

I am trying to write a query so that I can get data from a table containing absence dates. There are 2 tables - a name table and an absence date table.

What I need to do is to list all of the names from the absence table with any dates for which they are absent over a specified range of dates, but if a person is not absent for that range of dates, then the result set still needs to list that person's name once.

I just can't think how to do this. I can't seem to exclude the name from the name table if there is a value returned from the absence table.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...

Cool

Try using an outer join.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks, but that's what I've been trying. Let me try to clarify the problem with a few rules:

1. I need to show any dates for which an employee is absent.
    2. If the employee has no absences during the period, then I need to show that they were in the office.
    3. If an employee has an entry in the absence table, then I do not need a record to show that they were in the office.
    4. Results should be listed my second name, alphabetically, so there will be either a single row if the person has no absences, or one or more rows with absence dates.

If I join the tables or use a union query I don't seem to be able to get a result set that contains only the absence date(s) or a row that shows they were in the office.
    Make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...

Have you tried anything yet?
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    union join and outer join are two different things. Read up on them. It will help.
    NOTE: Please disregard the label "Senior Member".