Angry Unanswered: My form is changing itself?!

I have an Access 97 database, and yesterday I got a complaint that the users were unable to change data in a certain subform. For some reason, the Allow Edits, Delete and Additions were all set to "no", which is not correct. So, this morning I get everyone out of the database, copy it to my hard drive, change the form, repair, compact, and put it back on the server. Now, the form is back to all "no"s for any changes! Did the "repair" function do this? I did repair today because I've been getting strange messages; usually, I just just compact.

Repair and compact should not change the properties of your form. Take a look at any code in the form or that is used to open the form. Check the permissions for the form and underlying tables if you have secured the database.

Is the subform updateable? Access will change those settings if it cannot figure out how to make the changes. Is your subform based on a query that joins at least two tables? If so you will need to look at the keys for the tables and maybe set up some Relationships to help Access figure out how to do the updates.

Did you inhertit this app?

Are there any On OPen events on the form?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Unhappy

The form uses a simple one-table query. It has no code. It is a subform to a form that has code, but nothing that would change the subform. Just entry validation for some fields on the main form. And the database is not secured. I did test it before I put it back on the network, and it worked as it's supposed to.

This is really driving me crazy because I have no idea why it became read only on its own, and now I can't fix it. I keep thinking I must have done something wrong when I corrected it yesterday, but it's a big hassle to kick out as many as 60 users to change it, especially if it's going to reset again.
    Last edited by LisaChow; 01-12-05 at 10:18.

Can you post a small db containing the offending form(s) and a bit of sample data?

Thanks for the offer, but I can't post any sample data because of the nature of the data. It's personal and sensitive.

Oh, I wanted to add that the offending subform is used on three forms. One is view only, one adds new records, and one is for editing. Could the view-only form be doing something? I don't know what because it's been working fine for months.

Having the sub form on three forms shouldn't create problems, as long as the other forms are closed at the time, but if the settings are different it is possible that they are affecting the form.

For the sake of your sanity, and to eliminate one cause of the problem I'd suggest that you copy the subform until you have three of them, and put a different one on each form.

To be honest if I call a query from two or more forms/reports I seriously consider duplicating it in case I decide to alter it in some way later to suit the way it's called by one fo the forms (you never know when this will have unexpected consequences).