Unhappy Unanswered: Help with a VB and Access Project Please

Hello, i'm beggining a college project to create a Video Store Rental System through VB.Net and we have to use MS Access as the back end to store all of the data. I'm figuring that the best place to start is by creating the database and have a few questions that I hope ye can help with.

The video store has 3 categories of stock, it has movies, computer games and items for sale such as popcorn, soft drinks etc. I think i'm going to store these items in 3 seperate tables but wonder if it would be more practical to store them in one table and give the table a category field.

I am also considering seperate tables for Condition - (Used, New, Rental, For Sale) and Format - (VHS, DVD, XBox Game) and Genre - (Thriller, Action)
    I wonder if this is going overboard and just making work for myself or if it will make the database easier to use afterwards.

Finally and my biggest question... The cost of each Rental will be based on the Condition, the format and how long the item is to be rented for. I want to know If I should have a table in the database that stores this information or if i can just calculate it at run time in the VB.Net side of my project and then display the price there and then.

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
    Mike

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefran
    The video store has 3 categories of stock, it has movies, computer games and items for sale such as popcorn, soft drinks etc. I think i'm going to store these items in 3 seperate tables but wonder if it would be more practical to store them in one table and give the table a category field.
    I would go with one table for all with a category id.

I am also considering seperate tables for Condition - (Used, New, Rental, For Sale) and Format - (VHS, DVD, XBox Game) and Genre - (Thriller, Action)
    I wonder if this is going overboard and just making work for myself or if it will make the database easier to use afterwards.
    The more flexibility you build in, the easier it will be to use afterwards. Always.

The cost of each Rental will be based on the Condition, the format and how long the item is to be rented for. I want to know If I should have a table in the database that stores this information or if i can just calculate it at run time in the VB.Net side of my project and then display the price there and then.
    The general rule of thumb is never store any data that can be derived. There are rare exceptions to this rule when severe performance issues become a concern. Otherwise, if you have the required information to derive the figures you require, it is not advisable to store the calculated value.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks, that sounds bang on the only thing I'm concerned about is that if i put all the categories in one table I'll have a whole lot of empty fields in that table because Items like movies will have actors, release year, format type etc. attached to them where as items like popcorn, soft drinks will just have an item id and price. Do ypu still think I should go with one table.
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Stock is just that, stock. Details for given items could be stored elsewhere. The exact location of "Elsewhere" could be defined in your categories table.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***